Q. My sugar levels are high. What to do next?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on May 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 41 year old female. I had GDM 9 years back with twin pregnancy. Post-delivery for few months my blood sugars were normal. Later l was started on tablet Metformin 500 mg SR bd along with diet control. Last year l was started on tablet Atenolol 5 mg od. l feel fatigue even after slight exertion. So, l checked my sugar levels. There were fasting 190 and PP 227. Kindly advice what shall I do next.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• You need to be started on stronger medicine. I would recommend you to take tablet Glycomet GP1 (Glimepiride and Metformin combination) in the morning and Metformin 1000 mg in the night.

Revert back after the investigations to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

My mom feels dizzy and weak with diabetes medicine. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 53 years old. She is a diabetic and under medication. Her list of medications is as follows: For diabetes, Glyciphage SR 1 gm (1-0-1) and Volibo 0.2 (0-1-0). For cholesterol, Stator 10 (0-0-1) and for stamina, Stamina-OD (1-0-0). Under medication, her sugar levels before ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sandeep V Nair
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I can gather from the details given, your mother is having uncontrolled blood sugar value. The possible reasons might be lack of exercise and poor diet control. The target blood sugar values that your mother should attain are between 100 and 130 before food and betwee...  Read Full

Can I use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I read over the internet that tablet Metformin helps decrease the weight and prevents the onset of diabetes. Both my parents are diabetics and I weigh 70 kg. Hence, I want to use Metformin for diabetes prevention and weight loss. Yesterday, I took 500 mg and I do not feel any problem...  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Upadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you do not take the tablet if you are not clinically diagnosed as diabetic as it could lead to serious problems. I would strongly advise you to not to take it anymore. To prevent diabetes, one has to change the lifestyle like diet, and have to do exercise or ...  Read Full

Is it necessary to take medicines for tricuspid regurgitation and aortic stenosis separately?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife aged 72, weight 65 kg, is a diabetic type 2 for the past six years, hypertensive for the past two years, is suffering from moderate tricuspid regurgitation, aortic valve sclerosis, and pulmonary hypertension for the past two years. Her systolic function is good and there is no d...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. On the face of diabetes and hypertension with raised cholesterol and LDL, I suggest you add tablet Rosuvas (Rosuvastatin) one tablet daily after dinner. Consult your doctor. I think the dose of anti-diabetes medicine could be adjusted to reduce his blood sugar level to ...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now