Q. What measures to undertake to control high fasting and post-prandial blood sugar levels?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2022

My fasting blood sugar has been at 145 to 155 mg/dL, and postprandial blood sugar has been at 200 to 205 mg/dL for the last 15 days; when measured from a glucometer.

Please guide me.

#

Thanks for the query.

Both fasting and postprandial glucose levels show that you have diabetes. Please check HbA1c (hemoglobin A1c); that will give a better idea. If you are not on treatment, then it is high time that appropriate treatment is started right away. Ideally, with treatment, fasting glucose should be maintained at less than 100 mg/dL or closer to 100 mg/dL and postprandial at 150 to 170 mg/dL, HbA1c at less than 6.8 %. Another aspect is related to your weight; with a BMI (body mass index) of 30.5 kilograms/square meter (Normal is less than 23 kilograms/square meter), you are already in grade 1 obesity. There is an excess weight of 22 to 23 kilograms. Therefore, weight reduction should help in achieving lower glucose levels along with drugs, a restricted diet, and exercise. If you want more advise please come back with the following details:

Current fasting blood sugar level, postprandial glucose levels, HbA1c %, present diet pattern, lipid profile, the extent of daily exercise, and blood pressure readings. Then I will be able to give specific guidance. Or else, please consult your physician and do not delay the treatment, as controlling blood glucose effectively is essential to prevent long-term complications of diabetes.

|