Q. Is it normal to have raised ESR in a patient with AIH?

Published on Feb 16, 2019

Thought to have likely acute AIH for the past eight months. Currently, being treated with Prednisolone 8 mg to go to 5 mg and Azathioprine 50 much. My ALT/AST are within normal range last two months coming down from almost 2000. ESR has been steadily rising since past five months, commenced Azathioprine later, ESR was normal. Can you tell me your thoughts? I did not see the consultant for two months. I have been told all other blood reports are fine, ESR now is 52.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

In general, ESR is a very non-specific marker. It has no significance in isolation. However, in countries where tuberculosis is predominant, we always consider it while a person is on immunosuppressive drugs. So you can ask your doctor for a chest X-ray. It is however not essential if you do not have any symptoms in general. So go ahead with your treatment. If you have any symptoms like cough, weight loss, then we need to do work-up for tuberculosis.

Thanks for your answer. I just wondered, do you think the inflammation could possibly be in my liver and could it be the Azathioprine causing this, or would that be unlikely? Prior to this acute onset, I did not have any liver issues.

#

No, Azathioprine would not cause a rise in ESR. Yes, possibly inflammation in the liver can cause a rise in ESR. But as I said it is a non-specific marker and does not help in any treatment protocol as disease progression guide.

Does hepatitis virus stay dormant in the body after infection or get cleared?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been given hepatitis B blood test that showed the HBsAg negative and the hepatitis B core antibody image as positive. I am currently getting labs done for hepatitis B Surf Ab Quant, HBsAg screen, hepatitis B virus profile, and panel. I am getting conflicting information on websit...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have positive HBV core IgM which means one of the following: Recent infection (window phase). Reactivation of chronic infection. False positive result. Do you have any symptoms of active hepatitis, like jaundice, or painful liver? I strongly recommend th...  Read Full

How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?

Query: Hello doctor, My primary care physician said that I may have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1 and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA, if that is what I have.  Read Full >>

Dr. Divya Agarwal
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, the chances that you have RA (rheumatoid arthritis) or are developing it, are high. Anti-CCP antibodies are associated with RA and may also indicate an aggressive disease. However, there are various prognostic markers. This is only one of them. A high ESR and CRP,...  Read Full

I have pain due to RA in spite of taking medicines. Please tell me what I can do.

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with RA two years back and I am taking treatment for the same. My left knee is affected badly and the swelling is not coming down. Initially, I was not able to walk, but now I can walk slowly but cannot climb the staircase or fold my left leg completely. Recently I am...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post and have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your rheumatoid arthritis is not controlled which is evident from your high ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) of 60. The reason for this is that you are not adequate...  Read Full