Q. I have high hemoglobin and RBC values. Please suggest treatment.

I am 42 years old. My hemoglobin is high for a long time. Currently, my hemoglobin is 18.7, RBC is 6.21. I am feeling itching in the body, and I am taking Cetirizine 10 mg on alternate days. Ten years back, I have taken Stemiz 10 mg and Astemizole after that, no itching for two years, but this is not available now. I have no other complications. Please suggest any medicine or treatment.

#

Following is my opinion on your asked question. The positive alarming finding in your CBC (complete blood count) report.

1. High hemoglobin.

2. High PCV (packed cell volume).

3. High RBC (red blood cells).

So, the diagnosis is polycythemia.

Now, polycythemia can be either primary or secondary. Primary polycythemia is form of myeloproliferative blood cancer while secondary form is due to smoking, dehydration, testosterone injection, respiratory disease, or cardiovascular disease.

To rule out primary polycythemia investigate as follow.

1. Serum EPO estimation.

2. Jak2 and Exon 12 mutation by RT PCR.

To rule out secondary polycythemia investigate as follow.

1. Chest x-ray.

2. EKG (electrocardiogram).

3. Dehydration, smoking history.

According to the cause specific treatment is guided.

Meanwhile, you can drink more water like two to three liters per day. You can lower all your elevated blood count by therapeutic phlebotomy in which 350 - 450 ml blood removed from the body in one sitting. You can discuss all these with your treating hematologist or physician.

|