Q. My hemoglobin level is 18. 70. Am I at vey high risk and what immediate precautions should I take?

Dr. S D Sinha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

My hemoglobin level is 18.70,

PCV 55.40,

MCV 120,

MCH 40.70, RDW 8.40.

What should I do?

#

Please share a copy of all your lab reports. These reports appear out of place.

Do you have any history or diagnosis of polycythemia vera in the family or past history?

No history.

The reports are being uploaded.

#

From the report shared (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), it appears that you have an elevation of hemoglobin and hematocrit (MCV, MCH, MCHC).

Standalone, high hemoglobin and hematocrit, usually occur in diseases like polycythemia vera, where blood becomes thick and starts causing sluggish blood flow. This could lead to dysfunction of the heart and circulatory system. But you also appear to have coexisting eosinophilia (raised eosinophils). There are several possible reasons potentially for such a condition, including allergic disease of the skin or lung (such as asthma) or you have been a chronic smoker, or you had a parasitic infestation. Please let us know if you have chronic cough or breathlessness or asthma or a history of any parasitic infection or any other leading symptom, which could lead us to a diagnosis.

Alternatively, if you could repeat the blood test, complete blood count (CBC) after a week and revisit the situation and decide on a treatment, if necessary.

Am I at very high risk at present? What immediate precautions to be taken?

#

Thanks for your query.

Please let me know if you have asthma, allergies, any other lung diseases, or constipation, or are you a chronic smoker or previous history of worms and its treatment.

Let us start with a simple regimen as follows-

Treatment:

Tablet Albendazole 400 mg 1 tablet single dose.

Tablet Ivermectin 12 mg one tablet once daily for three days.

Capsules Relent OD (Levocetirizine 5 mg + Ambroxol sustained release 75 mg) one capsule once a day for seven days.

Drink 3 to 4 liters of non-alcoholic liquids (water preferably) per day.

A week later, let us do another blood test and see.

Please answer my questions above as well.

I am quite fit, and I do not smoke at all. I am sharing with you a full body check-up report.

#

Happy to know you feel well. Your test reports point to certain diagnoses and differential diagnoses, which we need to rule out and treat the most appropriate (in terms of clinical evidence) disease. I have seen the reports. You have raised hemoglobin, hematocrit, and eosinophil raised count. Together suggesting at the very least a parasitic (worm) infestation and allergy, for which medicines have been mentioned.

You also have a raised blood sugar and altered blood cholesterol.

Do you take any medicines for the same?

|