Q. Are my elevated RBC and hematocrit values suggestive of sleep apnea?

I am a 21-year-old female. My height is 5'8", and my weight is 185 lbs. I take tablet Tirosint 50 mcg for my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and tablet Slynd for PCOS. My blood reports showed slightly elevated RBC and hematocrit and low MCH. I have had migraines for six years.

What is causing the rise in my RBC and hematocrit? Could this be due to my medications? Does my blood values suggest sleep apnea?

Thanks.

#

I have checked your CBC (complete blood count) report (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). In the attached blood report, red blood cells and hematocrit are slightly high, while MCH (mean corpuscular hemoglobin) is borderline low. These fluctuations could be due to dehydration. Your hemoglobin, white blood cells, and platelets count are normal. So, your fluctuated values have no significance in your case, and nothing is to be done for that.

Your medicines are not responsible for these changes.

Best regards.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I do not snore at night. However, I am tired during the day, but that could be because of my migraines and thyroid condition. I get migraines very often, which has been going on for six years, so I highly doubt that now it is a result of sleep apnea.

I thought it was dehydration and repeated the bloodwork after three days and the results were still the same.

Thanks.

#

Following is my further opinion on your questions.

You might be tired in the daytime because of a thyroid issue. However, for that, I suggest you do serum calcium estimation, vitamin D estimation, urea, creatinine, and SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase).

Slight high RBC seems to be due to dehydration in your case because your hemoglobin and other CBC parameters are within range.

Kindly take plenty of water for two to three days and repeat your blood work.

Best regards.

|