Q. I have high RBC with pain in my throat, body ache, and continuous hair fall. What could it be?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My RBC counts, eosinophils and lymphocytes are high for the last three years; Uric acid lower than 2.37 mg/dL and SGPT are raised in the latest report. I have mild pain in the throat, body ache, weakness, fatigue, headache, chest pain, bitter taste for the last four days, and no fever during the period. A self blood test is done. I was feeling well from the third day. I have continuous hair fall for more than a week. I am currently taking Allegra 120 mg and Montek AB for allergic bronchitis. Earlier I took medicines for bronchitis, cervical spondylosis, calcium deficiency, body pain, etc. I have attached the laboratory reports. We need to consult for hematology due to high RBC and variation in the last three years hematology.

#

I can understand your concern, and the following is my opinion on your case. Your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) does not show any specific alarming findings. Lymphocytes and eosinophils can be elevated in viral infection and allergic inflammation of the upper respiratory tract. So your elevation seems to be temporary. Do not worry about that. RBC count are not always elevated in the reports.

And additionally, PCV (packed cell volume) and HB (hemoglobin) are not elevated. So no need to worry about polycythemia as well. Drink more water and repeat CBC (complete blood count) after one week. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards.

Thank you doctor for the reply.

What is the diagnosis of my report? What about elevated SGPT, serum Globulin, and lower uric acid level? The total RBC count and PCV are increased in the report. What may be the cause? My RBC count is more in almost every report; this needs to be checked. My family doctors told me about increased RBC count and told me not to worry about it. What are the probable causes of polycythemia?

In this COVID-19 pandemic, polycythemia is not good for me, as I read about the blood clot problems in COVID-19.

Please suggest.

#

Following is my further answer to your questions. From the provided history, your elevated lymphocytes and eosinophils are suggestive of viral or allergic inflammation. In your latest report, PCV and RBC count are borderline elevated. Hemoglobin is normal. So it does not fit in the diagnosis of polycythemia. In the report taken seven months back, all three parameters, like HB, PCV, and RBC, are within the limit. So polycythemia seems less likely. Sometimes dehydration also can raise RBC count. You can rule out hemoglobinopathy, especially thalassemia minor by HPLC (high-performance liquid chromatography) electrophoresis, to exclude it. SGPT and elevated globulin can be seen in temporary inflammation. However, you can investigate with an ultrasound abdomen to check the liver. Therefore, to conclude, do not worry about polycythemia and drink lots of water for a few days. Kindly repeat your SGPT and CBC after 15 days and revert to me with reports. If still your RBC and PCV raised, then we will discuss further. HPLC electrophoresis also should be done after a few days.

I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

| 

What could cause recurrent fever and body pain in a 13 year old?

Query: Hi doctor,My son is 13 years old and his weight is 46 kg. His WBC is 6000, lymphocyte is around 50% (checked thrice in the last two years), Hb is 11 g% and HbE trait. His overall health is fine, but he is getting recurrent fever attack of around four to five times in a year with severe body pain. P...  Read Full »

`What should I do for my itching and burning sensation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have itching and burning sensation in my upper body, eyes and feet. After taking a hot water bath, my upper chest becomes red and goes away in a minute. But, the burning sensation does not go away even though there are no rashes. I had cold and throat infection a week before. I took All...  Read Full »

Why does my eosinophil count increase when the season changes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 39 year old female. My eosinophil count increase during when the season changes. From the past month, I am having a persistent cough, which is not allowing me to talk. Phlegm is also present. I have taken two bottles of cough syrup Zeet, Sensiclav 625, Montek LC, Rinifol, twice a ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Hematologist Now