Q. Are my high triglyceride levels and hypothyroidism co-related?

Dr. Arpit Varshney
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2022 and last reviewed on: Apr 04, 2022

I have had hypothyroidism since last year. Currently, I am taking Levothyroxine - 25 mcg, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Paroxetine, Levocetirizine, Multivitamin. My lab results showed HDL 32 mg/dL, non-HDL 126 mg/dL and triglycerides - 585 mg/dL. Is that my condition is because of my medication? Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. High triglyceride levels can be due to the following reasons:

1) Birth control pills are commonly known to cause a deranged lipid profile.

2) Hypothyroidism.

3) Alcohol intake.

4) Obesity- since your BMI (body mass index) is fine, we can rule out this.

5) Diabetes- your sugar levels are also fine.

I suggest you start treatment for high triglycerides timely as it may cause some severe issues like heart attack and pancreatitis. But do not worry, it will be under control in the next two months with the following medications,

1) Tablet Atorvastatin 20 mg + Fenofibrate 145 mg.

I would also suggest getting your thyroid levels checked regularly and switching from birth control pills to some other mode of contraception.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|