High Wbc Count

Can sinus infection cause seizures?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing to get a second opinion for my relative. He is a 19 year old male. He had a seizure last year and the second seizure was on last week. His EEG was normal and also had an MRI. The doctors said that he has chronic sinusitis with thickened mucosa and they started giving him...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

Paediatrician, Neurologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We usually recommend antiepileptic if someone has two seizures within 24 hours. In approximately 70% cases, we may not be able to identify any specific cause for seizures, for example - infection, stroke, focal cortical dysplasia (FCD) and tumor, as in your case. S...  Read Full »

I have a recurring stye. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a stye, and it is reoccurring from 15 days. As my CBC report, hemoglobin is 11.8, and RBC is 4.02, and WBC is 10200. So is it because of the increase in WBC?  Read Full »

Dr. Dada Peer K

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your history. A stye is because of bacterial infection of glands if eyelids. Since this is infection WBC count is expected yo increase. WBC count in your cade is within normal limits, up to 11,000 is normal, no need to worry. The recurrence is because if r...  Read Full »

Does an elevated WBC always indicate leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I got blood work done and WBC was 14.8 and absolute neutrophils were 10.9. I was suffering from sun poisoning and a sinus infection. I also suffer from severe anxiety and panic disorder. I just want to know if this is an indication of leukemia.  Read Full »

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. An elevated WBC (white blood cell) count does not necessarily indicate leukemia. Even a mild infection can lead to the elevation of WBC count. Leukemia is a cancer of the blood cells. The most common symptoms are...  Read Full »

Is WBC count is 40000 suggestive of leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, What would you think if you see a WBC count as 40000 on CBC findings? Is it enough to think about leukemia or lymphoma? What is the difference between leukemia and leukemoid reaction? Please explain.  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrician, Hematologist, Pathologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: A count of 40000 is not high enough to think of leukemia on an immediate basis and leukemoid. The standard definition says count should be more than 50000 and should be caused by reactive causes outside the bone marrow. If y...  Read Full »

Is WBC value of 11.88 considered to be high?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a right sided sore throat and sinus drainage on and off for the last two months. It was chalked up to allergies, but no allergy pill completely took the sore throat away. My doctor put me on a Medrol (pak) 5/3 before two days, and my last dose was 5/8. I also have been weaning of...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. Your total WBC (white blood cell) count is only mildly elevated, and it is not raised to an alarming level. You have been prescribed a steroid course for sore throat. It is a strong anti-inflammatory drug if no improvement until yet than throat swab can be done f...  Read Full »

Will WBC increased during pregnancy returns to normal after delivery?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 27-year-old pregnant lady. I am in 31 st week of pregnancy. My WBC has been increasing off late. My present WBC count is 19.0×10^3 cells per liter. And I have not had any infections from the time I am pregnant. Now I have been asked to get an MPN panel test. It has got me worrie...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. The total WBC count can be elevated normally as well in pregnancy. It is a physiological response to pregnancy. The count can generally return after some time. If there is no sign of infection like sore throat, cold, burning micturition, diarrhea, etc., then you mi...  Read Full »

Why is the white blood cell count raised in a teenager?

Query: Hello doctor, My 16 years old son had a routine CBC performed as part of his physical for summer camp. His white blood count came back low 3.4 thousand/uL (reference 4.5 to 13.0), absolute neutrophils 1445 cells/uL (reference 1800 to 8000), neutrophils 42.5 %. He has always been very healthy and h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The neutrophil in children usually can be due to some temporary infection etiology. Viral infection also can cause neutropenia due to relatively high lymphocytes. I suggest to repeat CBC and peripheral smear examination report again after 10 to 15 days. I am also not...  Read Full »

My CBC shows elevated WBC and platelets. Does it mean leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, About a month ago, I did a CBC for a regular check up. It came back as elevated WBC and platelets. It was 16.3. Neutrophils absolute 11.8, lymph’s absolute 3.5, platelets 402. Everything else was in normal range. I have had it done twice and it stayed about the same. I recently ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your platelet count is within normal limit. So do not worry about that. Your total count and neutrophils count is high. But your total count is not high enough to be labelled as leukemia. Usually such high count up to 20000 can be due to infection or any inflammation...  Read Full »

My SGOT and SGPT levels are high. Is it an indication of liver disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. My weight is 84 kg and height is 177 cm. My blood test results are leukocyte 10.94000, lymphocyte 14%, neutrophils 75000, MCHC 31.2% and RDW-SD and PDW are high. My SGOT and SGPT levels are high too. Please guide.   Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to assure you need not worry as everything is going to be fine, if proper care and treatment is opted in for. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.  Read Full »

I have high WBC and RBC with bile sludge. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, My blood work is showing high WBC and RBC. WBC is 11.3 (normal should be 11), and RBC is 5.14 (normal should be 5.0). Neutrophils are 7.6 (normal should be 7.5). Erythrocytes are at 2 not showing the normal number it should be at. However, it is flagged as high. My alkaline phosphatas...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The concept of when to get the surgery depends upon how much pain you have, how bad is the underlying disease and how long you have the inflammation. Given the history of pain, a slightly elevated white count, abnormal liver function test and biliary sludge. It would b...  Read Full »