Q. I am 31 weeks pregnant with increased WBC count. Will it come back to normal after delivery?

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 29, 2019

I am a 27-year-old pregnant lady. I am in 31 st week of pregnancy. My WBC has been increasing off late. My present WBC count is 19.0×10^3 cells per liter. And I have not had any infections from the time I am pregnant. Now I have been asked to get an MPN panel test. It has got me worried. Now I would like to know the chances of MPN test results being normal? And I would also like to know if this happens to pregnant women where in the WBC increases during pregnancy and goes back to normal after delivery?

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

The total WBC count can be elevated normally as well in pregnancy. It is a physiological response to pregnancy. The count can generally return after some time. If there is no sign of infection like sore throat, cold, burning micturition, diarrhea, etc., then you might not worry regarding that. However, kindly attach your CBC (complete blood count) report so that I can comment further.

It is advisable to investigate with peripheral smear examination report first and then if needed MPN panel by flow cytometry suggested. So your chance of having MPN negativity can be predicted after looking your full CBC and peripheral smear examination report only. So kindly attach that two reports. I hope I have answered your question.

I will attach the reports below. Please have a look. I just want a reassurance that my MPN results can be negative.

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome back to the icliniq.com.

Thanks for attaching reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have read your attached reports. Your report showing high total WBC count but there is not the presence of any abnormal cells. In the case of leukemia, blast cells, immature cells, etc. seen in peripheral smear. But in your reports, their presence of only neutrophils and no abnormal cells present.So mostly your MPN panel will be negative. As per my opinion, you may need not to worry about that. You can revert with MPN report once done. If you already had given blood for that report. I hope I have solved your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

--file attached--

Hematology Pathology
# Hi,

Welcome back.

Your attached report is negative for blood cancer especially chronic myeloid leukemia.

Hope I have answered your question.

Let me know if I can assist you further

Regards

My WBC count is above 10,000. Do I have blood cancer?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26 year old female. Last year, my physician told me that I have an iron deficiency, and put me on supplements. My WBC count is 10,300 now. I have no infection, and I am not on any other medication. I am worried due to the high WBC count. I am attaching my CBC test report. Ple...  Read Full »

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »

Will high platelet count cause a blood clot or stroke?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has high WBC count of 15,000, platelet count of 5,40,000, and hemoglobin at 11.2. Her ESR is 86, and CRP is also similar. She has a fever, which rises in the evening to 101. Can you please tell me what this denotes? Also, will the high platelet count cause a danger for a bl...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now