Q. My grandfather has a fever for the last eight days with raised polymorphs. Please help.

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar

My grandfather is an 80-year-old male and is suffering from fever for the past eight days. Fever is nearing 100°F and usually occurs during night hours. He has taken tablet Doxycycline one time a day for two days and tablet Azithromycin once on the third day. Also, he is not taking meals (eating significantly less) properly for the past eight days. Today he got tested for CBC and LFT. SGOT, SGPT, and serum alkaline phosphatase levels are raised along with polymorphs which are 83%. Also, he has an increased level of C-reactive protein, and his COVID report is negative. Can you please tell me what I should do?

#

I have gone through your query, and I would like to know few details to decide on what to do next.

1) Does he have any other illnesses like diabetes or blood pressure or asthma?

2) Is he on any other medication?

3) Any other symptoms than fever like urinary complaints, cough, loose motions?

4) Is there any improvement with the above medications?

Also, if you can attach the reports, I would like to see the levels of SGOT (serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase), SGPT (serum glutamic-pyruvic transaminase), and ALP (alkaline phosphatase). I want to determine if there is an infection in the liver. As raised polymorphs and CRP (C-reactive protein) means there is some infection in the body. At this age, the most common site of infection is in the lung or urine.

I would advice you to revert so that we can decide if any change in treatment is needed.

Till then, continue with antibiotics. I suggest him tablet Paracetamol for fever.

Keep his diet light. Give him more water and juices.

I would be happy to help you further if you have any other questions.

|