Q. Should I worry about increased monocyte, eosinophil and triglyceride value?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati
Published on Oct 16, 2019

I am a 64 years old male. I am concerned about the values of monocytes, eosinophils, triglycerides, cholesterol, sex hormones bind globulin. With age, the numbers are getting worse. Do you need any additional information or test?

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

Slightly increased monocytes do not need treatment at the moment; you can repeat the test after one month. Need observation for increased eosinophils count, need anti-allergic medicine if allergy symptoms present. Otherwise, no treatment needed. For increased triglycerides, needed anti triglycerides medicine, and for increased sex hormonal binding, you should get an ultrasound abdomen done, including testes, to look for any cause. Also, get AFP (Alpha-fetoprotein), Beta hCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin), and LDH (lactic acid dehydrogenase) for increased sex hormone value.

As per your suggestion, LDH, HCG and AFP results are attached.

Dr. Rajesh Gulati

Geriatrics Medical Oncology
#

LDH, HCG, AFP are normal. I also advised an ultrasound abdomen, including testes. Have you done that? If ultrasound is also normal, then nothing to worry. Just continue the medications for increased triglycerides.

Why do I have breathlessness while walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a normal healthy individual with a sedentary lifestyle. I weigh 67 kg and my height is 165 cm. I am experiencing some breathlessness of late when I walk. Hence, I am trying to understand if there is something wrong in me. My annual medical checkup (over the last 3 years) show my c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivek Singla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would like to know about your diet? Do you have any allergies? Do you smoke? My suggestion would be to reduce saturated fats and trans fats intake in your diet. Start taking tablet Rozave...  Read Full

My triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL. Is it necessary to take medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, I got a lipid profile done, and the triglycerides level was 207 mg/dL, apart from that everything was normal. As it was a festival season, I had a lot of drinks and food for three days before the blood test. My doctor told me to take Razel (Rosuvastatin) tablets for 3 to 4 mo...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I will try to explain in detail about the lipid profile. Triglyceride levels in the lipid profile depend on the fasting status. If the blood sample is taken in fasting, the upper limit is 200 mg/dL. But the value changes with the food taken by you. In your case, ther...  Read Full

Had a routine check-up and a few of my hematological paarameters are abnormal. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Recent health check (which I do it by myself routinely and I do not have any diabetes, BP or any other disorder), I found abnormal values of the following hematological parameters, Hb- just normal, RBC- low, MCHC- low, MCV- high (lab has marked all the last three items under bold). Li...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your hemoglobin level is within normal range. So you may need not to worry about that. You need not worry regarding slight low red blood cell count. For slight high MCV, you can in...  Read Full

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now