Q. The internal rotation of my hip is very low. What could be the reason?

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Published on Jul 30, 2017

Just to give you a bit of a background, I am a young male who is heavily involved in sports. Several months ago, I noticed my left (non-dominant side) hip internal rotation is very low or practically non-existent. I also noticed pinching at the front of my hip when getting into a deep squat position. In the last few weeks, I have experienced a dull ache in the deep groin or hip region on that side. This usually went away a day or two after training, but since last Friday it has not gone away. It is not a debilitating pain, but it is noticeable when twisting, turning or kicking. Generally, it seems to go away after 20 to 30 minutes of warming up but will come back again post-training. Hamstring flexibility is also low on that side. Could this be a hip impingement? If not, what else could it be? Would it be alright to train in the meantime?

Dr. Shakti Mishra

Fitness Expert Nutritionist Physiotherapy Yoga
#

• It is not possible to come to any conclusion without a proof. You need to do an X-ray of the hip and pelvic joint.
  • There might be anterior tilting of the pelvis because of which movement of the hip joint is restricted during internal rotation. In that case, it will get corrected soon.
  • Avoid playing sports until then.

Follow up with the reports for a conclusive diagnosis.

Revert with more information to a physiotherapist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

| 

I get lower back pain on and off. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from lower back pain, which radiates to my buttock and thigh muscles. The pain is not constant. It comes and goes. What shall I do?  Read Full »

Shall I continue the treatment advised by my doctor for hip joint pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 63 year old male. I had polio affected right leg, but have been leading a normal life since then. Recently, I developed pain in the right thigh joint, but able to walk normally. In some positions, it is painful. I have got my MRI study of the hip joint. The report is enclosed here...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now