Q. Are there chances of HIV transmission by a handjob?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

Can anyone get infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by getting a handjob? The person's health status is unknown. What is the earliest test someone can have to know the status?

#

Thank you for the query. The chances of HIV transmission by handjob is nil. The test can be HIV 1&2 RNA PCR (Real-Time Polymerase chain reaction) after 12 to 14 days exposure.

Thanks for the reply.

After five days of getting a handjob, I happened to take an HIV RNA PCR test, and the report is very confusing. Though the report says negative, the values are confusing. I am unable to understand if the numbers are borderline, and I require any retest. I request you to kindly help in the analysis and advise if I need to retake the test.

#

Thank you for the query. The HIV RNA PCR test results are negative. Now there is no need for further HIV tests. You can go for an HIV antibodies test after three months of exposure for conclusive results and be relieved of anxiety.

HI doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

As the HIV RNA PCR test is negative, is there any reason to get tested for antibodies after three months? What is the accuracy of the PCR report? Also, it was a handjob which I got, and the person did not have any cuts on hand and applied sanitizer before the act. Are there any chances for the result to differ afterward?

#

Thank you for the follow-up query. I do not see any need for HIV tests based on exposure history. If you are too anxious, go for an HIV antibodies test after three months of exposure.

Thank you for your response.

Can I resume my family life as the results are negative, or is there a risk, and should I wait?

#

Thank you for the follow-up query.

If the risk is an only handjob, then there is no need to worry. You can lead a normal family life.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it was only handjob and no ejaculation as well.

#

Thank you for the follow-up query.

Then there is nothing to worry about the HIV. You can lead a normal family life.

Hello Sir.. in follow up to handjob, I tested RNA PCR after 5 and 11 days report was non reactive. Again 28th day tested for cmia and elisa method result was non reactive. On 30 day tested for RNA PCR Quantitative test, attached report. My understanding of report is not detected as per the description. Request you view report and advice if it's negative. Am i free from hiv or do i still need wait for 90 days testing. Kindly advise. Thank you
# Hi
Thank you for the follow up query.
The HIV PCR test report is negative.
With the described exposure history I do not see need for any further HIV tests.
Thank you Sir. As RNA PCR and CMIA and ELISA all 3 reports are negative after month time. Can I consider it as conclusive? I wanted to start family and was worried . Is there any chance where RNA will not show after month as well. I had 3 RNA TEST for day 5, 11 and now 30 day + ELISA +CMIA all are negative.
# Hi
Thank you for the follow up query.
The risk exposure does not transmit HIV.
Moreover the HIV tests were not required for the risk exposure. Anyway they have come negative implies you were not exposed earlier to it too.
In my opinion you can lead a normal family life without worry about HIV. There is no need for further HIV tests.

|