Q. Can diabetes effect my HIV DUO test results?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Oct 29, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2019

Some 20 months ago, while having tea outside the office, I felt a slight pinch in my hands. I thought it would have been a mosquito bite as it was itching. But, I also had a thought that someone might have inserted a needle. Recently, a month ago, I read in a leading newspaper that a husband tried to insert a needle loaded with HIV blood to his wife. Then, I got a bit worried and was anxious. So, the next day, I went and did a test. I have attached the test reports for your reference. I would like to mention that I have diabetes from past five years and I am currently on Istamet 50/1000 mg. I have a few questions. Kindly check the report and please let me know if everything is fine. What should be the duration of the exposure to needles and the test? As I am a diabetic and take a diabetes medicine, will this have an effect on the test results? Is it conclusive that I am HIV negative, as after that episode I did not have any other exposure? Please advice.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• The HIV antibodies test, which is a DUO (drug utilization observation) test, is negative after three months of exposure. It is conclusive that you are free from HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). Antibody tests are considered conclusive after three months of exposure. Once infected, it will be positive even when you check it later.
  • Diabetes or its treatment will not affect the test results.

For more information consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

I have diabetes and I am on Istamet 50/1000 mg. I would like to know if the HIV test results remain the same after three months post exposure in a diabetic person too?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

• Yes, HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibodies test three months post exposure are conclusive. You do not have any risk at all by the history you have mentioned earlier. So, you need not worry.

For more information consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient who has comp...  Read Full

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The test kits used to diagnose HIV are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. The majority of the people who are infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) develop antibodies by three months, and even in the rare instances of late seroconversion...  Read Full

Ask a Venereologist Now