Q. An HIV infected surgeon rubbed my bleeding site with bare hands after injection. Am I at risk?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

Last month, a doctor with HIV gave an injection in my vein without using gloves. She did not use any cotton, she just put her finger to stop the bleeding. She also rubbed my vein with her hands when it was still bleeding. Am I at risk?

I did HIV DNA PCR after 9 days, and after one month fourth generation ELISA test. One of the doctor told me that the window period is 90-180 days. What test should be done after six months?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Let me answer your query step by step.

There was no risk of HIV involved by the injection given by HIV infected doctor surgeon. Even if she touched with her finger at the bleeding site with the naked hand, you were not at risk. HIV cannot be transmitted by touching HIV infected person. Your risk was unwarranted in the scenario you mentioned.

The test which you took, was highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. Window period is the time taken for antibodies to develop after infection and then to be detected by a particular test. 99.9% of the people who are infected with HIV develop HIV antibodies by three months. It is good that you know your HIV status now, you do not require any further test.

| 

Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about a year and a half ago. Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for it? Are there any antiviral prescriptions for me? The associated symptoms are extreme fatigue and dizziness.  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now