Q. Can I get HIV if I had oral sex, a hand job, and deep kissing with a spa therapist?

Dr. Davie Wong

I went to a spa several times in the last month. I did not have any sexual intercourse, but the therapist did a hand job and gave deep kisses. And sometimes, we had to hump between the therapist's thighs near to her genital. We also had oral sex, and she sucked my penis for a maximum of one minute. After that incident, I became very anxious. I feel like I have all the symptoms of HIV.

I did not have a fever or swollen nodes, but I have very bad gastric reflux, abdominal discomfort, chills, tiredness, and pain in the penis tip after urination for the last two days. I did routine urine analysis, and the results were normal. I have greenish-yellow mucus when I cough. And when I wake up in the morning, my throat is dry and irritates. I have severe burping and GERD.

Kindly help.

#

If you are concerned about contracting HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), the best approach is to get tested. You might get tested for other sexually transmitted infections, including gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, and hepatitis C and B. The risk of catching HIV from oral sex is shallow. Acute HIV infection can cause a flu-like illness (fever, headache, fatigue, loss of appetite, swollen lymph nodes, rash, and sore throat) within two to four weeks of exposure. Please send a photo of your rash to help you better. It is difficult to comment on a skin rash without seeing it.

As for your cough, there are many causes, including asthma, acid reflux, pneumonia, and bronchitis. The burping and acid reflux are not symptoms of HIV infection. This could be a separate issue.

1) Do you drink caffeine or alcohol?

2) Are you having any shortness of breath or chest pain?

Thank you for your reply.

I never had a fever or swollen lymph node. I had terrible anxiety and searched a lot on the internet. After that, I had severe reflux, burping, and metallic taste. I went to a gastroenterologist, and they suspected H.pylori infection. After that, I went to a urologist as I had pain at the tip of the urethra after urination and did routine urine analysis, which came back normal.

The pain at the tip of the urethra will is on and off for the last two days, and I have a dry cough, especially at night while laying down. And when I wake up in the morning, I get yellowish-green sputum while when I am coughing.

And my rashes are folliculitis in different parts of the body.

1) Can HIV be transmitted from having unprotected sex with HIV positive person one or two times?

2) What could be my possibility according to my exposure?

Kindly help.

#

It is extremely unlikely, and the chance of catching HIV from receiving oral sex even from an HIV-positive partner is almost nil. It seems like your symptoms relate to the stress you are experiencing from the fear of catching HIV.

The diagnosis of any sexually transmitted infection requires testing. I can reassure you that your HIV risk from this particular sexual act that you have described is extremely low, but to rule out the diagnosis, testing needs to be done. Having a negative test might alleviate your concerns.

Good luck.

|