Q. I came in contact with dried blood. Am I at the risk of getting HIV?

Dr. Sushma Shah
Published on Dec 27, 2019

I am a lab worker, at the time of the incident I was standing in front of an empty centrifuge and as I held one of the tube inserts upside down to clean it, speks of dried blood fell out of it. I am not sure if any of it went into my eye and I am worried. I wanted to ask if HIV can survive in those dried blood flakes.I am really stressed, it has been 2 weeks since the incident. I am up to date with my hepB vaccinations. At the moment I have a bit of sore throat and 37.1 degree fever and I am really scared. I did see a doctor on the day of the incident who reassured me that I am not in danger, I also wanted your expert opinion.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Good that you have got hepatitis vacine.

In dry bood, HIV virus does not survie. Hence, any contact with dried blood will not transmit HIV. Do not worry, you are safe.

| 

I needed this reassurance, it has been a month since I had tested myself for HIV as a routine procedure which I do every year and it was negative. I do not want to repeat the test again just for this incidence, it is so draining me psychologically, I have lost my sleep and today I have a bit of sore throat and cough, I got paranoid. Thank you. I will try to stay calm. I do suffer from anxiety and overthink of things.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

You are 100 % safe. Climate change can cause sore throat. You can consult an ER for that. Do not worry about HIV.

For sorethroat you can use Cefexim 200 twice a day for 3-5 days, Signoflam thrice daily for 3-5 days, Montek LC once every night for five days, Ambrolyte S if you have wet cough or Chericof syrup if dry cough (5 ml and 10 ml at night for five days respetively).

| 

A million thank you. I wish you good health and happiness in the New Year coming.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Dried blood flakes never contain HIV. It is easonal or viral. Since you work in laboratory, you are prone to get infected with various other conditions. You can also use Ondamac 4 mg MD, put it on the tounge and it dissolves with saliva. Wait for 30 minutes.Do not take anything by mouth for 30 minutes. It can be taken three times a day for 3-5 days. Betadine gargling three times a day before meals or two times a day till throat is normal. Do not worry, it is a seasonal ailment. It has never been HIV-related. Take the treatment, you will be fine. I assure it is not HIV. Get well soon.

| 

It is just that lately I have been feeling as if I cannot work as a Biomedical scientist in a safe way and I worry. A couple of weeks ago I was standing next to a colleague with my PPE on and goggles and as she was disposing waste down the sluice, she splashed a small amount on my lower leg which for an unbelievable reason a tiny part was bare and exposed to the splash and I had a wound at that spot which was healed though but still a scab. The waste was blood diluted in water and buffer solution and from what I know virus would be dead in there. I believe so.

And the other day I caught my finger in the laboratory drawer and started bleeding, however, I had gloves on and no samples. So I am trying to say that all these incidents have freaked me out and made me worry about my safety at my workplace. I know I have been so upset lately as I lost my mother a couple of months ago and I am struggling at the moment plus my anxiety has increased and I do not know what to do. My phobia that I will catch something bad from the laboratory and I am scared for HIV. It has made me paranoid. It feels that the more I try to protect myself the more prone to accidents I become. I am in tears.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Oh okay, now I understand. Take care.

| 

I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »

What is the remedy for sore throat, cough and post nasal drip?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat, slight cough and post nasal drip. No fever. What can I take?  Read Full »

Can complete blood count show HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, Will complete blood count test show HIV infection? Will the WBC be increased or decreased?  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now