Q. What are the chances of contracting HIV from oral sex of an infected person?

Dr. Rachit Maan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

I had oral sex with someone who has HIV but it is undetectable. Should I be worried about catching it?

I am worried that I am gonna catch HIV, but when I researched it online it said that if the person is undetectable it is very unlikely for it to transmit. Also, it is said oral sex is also very rare for the disease to spread but I am still worried.

#

I went through your case. As you said you had oral sex with HIV positive individual. I want to tell you that HIV transmits through body fluids which definitely exchanges in oral sex also. And if a person is undetectable then also they have the potential to transmit infection as HIV also transmits in window period when it is undetectable. But you should not be anxious as not all encounters lead to the transmission which is further less in your case.

You should go and take HIV ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test and should repeat it after six weeks. Until then you should start antiretroviral therapy to nullify any possibility of infection. It will be available in a nearby clinic with the name of Post exposure prophylaxis antiretroviral therapy.

So should I just take the medicine and it will eliminate it?

#

First you should go for a test and start medication. Even if transmission happens most probably it will go with medications. But you should go for a test after six weeks.

Can I take the over the counter test? Will it work the same?

#

Actually, over the counter test are not reliable in HIV and not in such primitive stages. You need to go for elisa test and if there is a false result in over the counter result it will misdiagnose the case.

No I have to get medical insurance in order to get the prescribed medication
# Hello Austin,
But try to get insurance as fast as you can because as the time passes the level of Virus increases in body and then the efficiency of medication increases. Ideally you should start it as soon as possible.
YOUR DOCTOR

|