Q. What are the chances of contracting HIV from oral sex of an infected person?

Answered by
Dr. Rachit Maan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

Hello doctor,

I had oral sex with someone who has HIV but it is undetectable. Should I be worried about catching it?

I am worried that I am gonna catch HIV, but when I researched it online it said that if the person is undetectable it is very unlikely for it to transmit. Also, it is said oral sex is also very rare for the disease to spread but I am still worried.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through your case. As you said you had oral sex with HIV positive individual. I want to tell you that HIV transmits through body fluids which definitely exchanges in oral sex also. And if a person is undetectable then also they have the potential to transmit infection as HIV also transmits in window period when it is undetectable. But you should not be anxious as not all encounters lead to the transmission which is further less in your case.

You should go and take HIV ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test and should repeat it after six weeks. Until then you should start antiretroviral therapy to nullify any possibility of infection. It will be available in a nearby clinic with the name of Post exposure prophylaxis antiretroviral therapy.

I hope this helps.

Thank you doctor,

So should I just take the medicine and it will eliminate it?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

First you should go for a test and start medication. Even if transmission happens most probably it will go with medications. But you should go for a test after six weeks.

Thank you doctor,

Can I take the over the counter test? Will it work the same?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Actually, over the counter test are not reliable in HIV and not in such primitive stages. You need to go for elisa test and if there is a false result in over the counter result it will misdiagnose the case.

No I have to get medical insurance in order to get the prescribed medication
# Hello Austin,
But try to get insurance as fast as you can because as the time passes the level of Virus increases in body and then the efficiency of medication increases. Ideally you should start it as soon as possible.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

.. acidity problems are non-specific symptoms and are not related to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection. The risk factors for HIV infection is having sex with unknown partners, whose HIV status is not known, or through blood transmission. I...   Read full

I performed oral sex right after getting scaling done. What is my risk of HIV?

Hi doctor, A few weeks ago, I had oral sex with a female sex worker ... I did oral sex initially after I came from scaling ...   Read full

Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?

.. been diagnosed with hepatitis B around one and a half years ago. Now, you have to repeat HBsAg, ELISA testing to check whether you are HBsAg positive. If still HBsAg is positive, then you can be a carrier of it. Further tests need to be done as f...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

COVID-19 Vaccines
A COVID-19 vaccine provides acquired immunity against the new Coronavirus. Read the article to know everything about the...  Read more»
The Perils of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction affects both physical and mental health. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
COVID-19 - Second Wave
The second wave of COVID-19 is a red flag. Read more to know about the precautionary measures.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Practitioner Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.