Q. What is the risk of HIV in needle prick injury?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 17, 2020

I am a medical professional. I injected a 5 year child in his buttock and while recapping the needle it pricked my finger. I applied pressure and allowed a few more drops of blood to ooze out and washed my hand with soap and water. Now, my question is that what are the chances of HIV transmission in this case, if the child is HIV positive?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• According to world health organization (WHO), you are at 0.3% risk.
  • Various other studies have also shown the risk range from 0.1% to 0.5%.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

Does it make any difference that I made several drops of blood to ooze out? Moreover, there was no blood in the needle when I had withdrawn the needle from the buttock of the patient.

#

• No, it is not going to make any difference. The risk will remain the same.

|