Q. When will HIV antibodies develop in a body after exposure?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

After how many days a normal person (22 years) suffering from all symptoms and just have tested HIV 1 and 2, and tridot test with negative result at 120 days develop antibodies? I have symptoms from day 10. Is my test at 120 days conclusive? I tested that six months back and I am very worried about HIV. Will I die with it? Or is it a normal virus that can be controlled? Is the result of 120 days test accurate? Please provide information as I am suffering from lots of tensions. I gained weight in the last two months. I have stretch marks on my body with pimples and headaches. There is a blood vessel break in my eyes and it is like a red dot. Should I get a test for HIV again? Or else should I relax?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

Antibodies are the proteins produced by the body in response to fight the foreign substance (antigen, virus, infectious agent) it enters the body. When antigen enters the body, it stimulates the immune system to produce antibodies. It is very difficult to tell that how much time a particular person takes to develop antibodies.

Your negative HIV antibody test at 120 days means that 99.9% of your body has not been exposed to HIV.

The test kits used these days are highly sensitive and specific and give accurate results.120 days HIV negative test is highly conclusive of your negative HIV status. But, I think that you are not letting it go.

The symptoms are more likely due to stress. There are very rare cases reported in the literature where the person has been exposed to antigen but the time taken by the body to produce detectable antibodies was longer, up to six months. There are recommendations and I also suggest to my patients to repeat the test at six months and if that will be negative you need not repeat it further.

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

What would happen if sweat or water dropped into the blood used for HIV testing?

Query: Hi doctor, I took OraQuick Advance Rapid HIV 1/2 antibody test today at a nearby clinic after waiting the window period for exposure of more than 90 days. I was told that the result was negative. My concern may be very paranoid and unnecessary; however, I am more curious than anything. I wanted to ...  Read Full »

Do fever, sore throat and headache after sex indicate HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex with my office colleague 15 days back and he looks healthy and happy, but within two weeks of that incident, I got cold, fever 99.8 Farenhite, sore throat, toothache, and severe cough like never before. I am very scared. I got my period four days after sex. I am worried abou...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now