Hiv Medication

The human immunodeficiency virus causes HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection. It affects the body's immune system initially. It can spread through infected semen, blood, and vaginal fluids while having unprotected sex with an infected person and sharing drug needles used by patients infected with HIV. In untreated cases, it results in AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). Taking antiretroviral medications helps to reduce disease progression and secondary infection. It gets controlled within six months after taking drugs.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am on ARV and IVIG, can they cure anterior horn cell disease caused by HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I am HIV positive and on ARV for the past nine years. My legs feel weak and I cannot stand on my legs. The nerve conduction report states peripheral neuropathy and anterior horn cell disease. Can IVIG injection cure anterior horn cell disease caused by HIV?  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder K. Sachdeva

Answer: Hello, Welcome to If the cause is HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), then you require antiretroviral treatment (ART) for the symptoms to improve. Studies have shown that symptoms of anterior horn cell disease potentially improve after effective ART. Kindly answer the following: 1. F...  Read Full »

I had sex with a sex worker and the condom broke. What are my chances of contracting the HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex with a sex worker and the condom broke. I had inserted my penis inside her vagina when this happened, and for approximately two to three minutes, I did not ejaculate. I immediately withdrew and washed my penis with water. Before the incident, she also gave me oral sex. I imme...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I went through your query and understood your concern. The chances of transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by single unprotected intercourse is low. A condom breakage can be considered equivalent to unprotected intercourse. If the person is HIV-negative,...  Read Full »

I am 19 weeks pregnant and HIV positive. Will I be able to breastfeed my baby?

Query: Hi,I was recently diagnosed with HIV positive, and I am 19 weeks pregnant. My concern is whether it will be safe for me to breastfeed my baby? And what happens if I do not have enough breast milk to make my baby full? If I can not exclusively breastfeed my baby, do I have to top up with formula milk...  Read Full »

Dr. Shah Sushma Kant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concern. I am sorry to hear about your situation. You are under medication, and your baby can get medicine from you. So, I have the following suggestions for you- 1. After baby delivery, you can take Nevirapine (NVP) drops imme...  Read Full »

Is there a new medicine for 100 % cure of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,My brother was detected as HIV positive. Is this disease completely curable or not? Is there any new medicine for a 100 % cure for this disease?  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder K. Sachdeva

Answer: Hello, Welcome to There is so effective a treatment available for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) that it is no longer a dreadful disease. Antiretroviral treatment (ART) needs to be taken regularly with 100 % adherence. With regular ART, HIV will be completely suppressed, and th...  Read Full »

Can HIV be completely cured?

Query: Hello doctor, My son in law is HIV positive. His HIV PCR count is 46,938. He has been prescribed Tenvir. I want to know can he be ever cured? My daughter is married to him for only three months now and she is also pregnant. I would like to know if there is any medicine or ayurvedic treatment to get ...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Hassan Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to No, there is no treatment available for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and your daughter needs to get tested as she might have caught the infection by sexual intercourse. If your daughter is infected then there is a possibility that shepasses the infectionto her ...  Read Full »

I am having conjunctivitis in my left eye. What should I do?

Query: Hi doctor,I have all the classic symptoms of conjunctivitis in my left eye. I have had this issue with the same eye in the last three months. I was traveling then and was unable to consult the doctor. It appeared to resolve on its own.I have an appointment scheduled in the next month with my ophthal...  Read Full »

Dr. Gopal R. Damani

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Yes, it does look like conjunctivitis (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). You can start using topical eye drops. Use some lubricating eye drops. Keep your personal-use things separate like bed sheets, pillow covers, towels, etc. Use tissue paper to cl...  Read Full »

My test for HIV-1 came reactive. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old woman, and I have warts on my genitals and around the area, which led me to a dermatologist. The doctor diagnosed them as STD and advised me to get HIV tested, as part of the¬†diagnosis. The blood sample resulted in a reactive result. I approached another lab and got...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder K. Sachdeva

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) can be acquired through sexual contact (anal or vaginal or oral), blood transfusion, exchange of contaminated syringes or needles or there can be a vertical trans...  Read Full »

Can sharing tongue cleaners transmit HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, Four months back, I had sex with a lady. I had started using PEP drugs within 48 hours. I got negative after three months in the test. Are there any chances that I might have transmitted HIV to others within those 48 hours (the time between the exposure and PEP pill taken)? Can HIV trans...  Read Full »

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thank you for the query. It is good that the HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibody test is negative after three months of exposure. It is conclusive provided there is no further risk exposure. The chances of transmission of HIV (within 48 hours of exposure, as me...  Read Full »

Is PEP drug recommended without sexual exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my preliminary HIV test as negative before three months. I had gone for a body massage in a local parlor with no active penetration from my side. But when I came home, I had a feeling that the genitals had touched. I had started PEP prophylactically 40 hours post-exposure on Tru...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder K. Sachdeva

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The scenario which you mentioned, did not reflect any exchange of body fluids, therefore, it does not come into potential risk of acquisition of HIV. PEP (Post exposure prophylaxis) is not recommended in case, if there is no sexual exposure. I am still unclear wheth...  Read Full »

Please suggest an alternative medicine for Sustiva.

Query: Hi doctor, I am HIV positive. I am now 11 years viral load free. My cocktail consists of Sustiva, Isentress, and Epzicom. My doctor has suggested switching me to other due to the adverse effect of Sustiva. My genotyping indicates that I have a resistance to Ziagen and Epivir. What are your thoughts ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It depends on which type of side effects were you having from Sustiva (Efavirenz). I would be very careful before consider switching it around since you have been in remission for so long and the viral load is suppressed. I am not sure what is the sensitivity to other ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.