Hiv Medication

Is PEP drug recommended without sexual exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my preliminary HIV test as negative before three months. I had gone for a body massage in a local parlor with no active penetration from my side. But when I came home, I had a feeling that the genitals had touched. I had started PEP prophylactically 40 hours post-exposure on Tru...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The scenario which you mentioned, did not reflect any exchange of body fluids, therefore, it does not come into potential risk of acquisition of HIV. PEP (Post exposure prophylaxis) is not recommended in case, if there is no sexual exposure. I am still unclear wheth...  Read Full »

Please suggest an alternative medicine for Sustiva.

Query: Hi doctor, I am HIV positive. I am now 11 years viral load free. My cocktail consists of Sustiva, Isentress, and Epzicom. My doctor has suggested switching me to other due to the adverse effect of Sustiva. My genotyping indicates that I have a resistance to Ziagen and Epivir. What are your thoughts ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It depends on which type of side effects were you having from Sustiva (Efavirenz). I would be very careful before consider switching it around since you have been in remission for so long and the viral load is suppressed. I am not sure what is the sensitivity to other ...  Read Full »

I was treated for syphilis and I have flu-like symptoms now. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hello doctor,Three months ago, I was treated for syphilis with a shot of penicillin and other antibiotics. I was never tested for syphilis. I am a very active gay man who had signs of syphilis, and my infectious disease doctor presumptively treated me by providing antibiotics before I was tested. He...  Read Full »

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that you are concerned. But serological tests for syphilis do not work like this. There are tests which remain positive for a lifetime if you once acquired syphilis. I dont know what features you had of syphilis but to confirm you have it or not you need t...  Read Full »

Can an HIV positive person marry an HIV negative?

Query: Hello doctor, Can an HIV positive person marry an HIV negative?  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answer to your query is yes, an HIV-positive person can marry an HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) negative. A majority of the countries have no legal objections against marriage, although a few have a law to declare your HIV status to the partner. When the HIV-i...  Read Full »

At three months, my HIV result is negative. Why should I check again at six months?

Query: Hi doctor, After three months of unprotected exposure, I got tested for HIV, and it is negative. What are the chances of getting a positive HIV result after three months? I got to know that in some rare cases it takes up to six months to show antibodies. In which condition it will take a long time t...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.The test which you underwent at three months is highly conclusive. But as far as retesting at six months is concerned, here is your answer.The majority of people who are infected with HIV will have a detectable level of anti-HIV antibodies at two to eight weeks following pr...  Read Full »

Should the HIV medicines be changed after taking them for 11 years?

Query: Hello doctor, My uncle aged 54 and aunt aged 47 are using Lamivudine, Nevirapine, and Zidovudine tablets for the last 11 years. Can they continue to use or do they need a change in their medicines? My aunt has few health issues like a sore throat and loss of voice and has been suffering from a s...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the treatment guidelines, if a person is stable on the antiretroviral regimen, there is improving and stable CD4 cell count with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) viral load undetectable, then there is no need to change the regimen or the drug combinations. B...  Read Full »

Is it normal to get hepatitis B vaccine even before starting HIV medications?

Query: Hello doctor, I just found I am HIV positive, but I am not on medication yet. My CD4/viral load count is 445 /22,500. I do have issues with my liver enzyme AST=87, ALT=201, ferritin =800, but negative for hepatitis B. The doctor wants to protect my liver, so she gave me first hepatitis B vaccine. My...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think it is the right decision to vaccinate against hepatitis B because it protects you against future exposures to this virus. Hepatitis B is having the same routes of transmission as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) vaccination. Hepatitis B does not interfere...  Read Full »

Is there a new medicine for 100 % cure of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,My brother was detected as HIV positive. Is this disease completely curable or not? Is there is any new medicine for 100 % cure for this disease?  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is so effective a treatment available for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) that it is no longer a dreadful disease. Antiretroviral treatment (ART) needs to be taken regularly with 100 % adherence. With regular ART, HIV will be completely suppressed and this ...  Read Full »

Can HIV be completely cured?

Query: Hello doctor, My son in law is HIV positive. His HIV PCR count is 46,938. He has been prescribed Tenvir. I want to know can he be ever cured? My daughter is married to him for only three months now and she is also pregnant. I would like to know if there is any medicine or ayurvedic treatment t...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no treatment available for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and your daughter needs to get tested as she might have caught the infection by sexual intercourse. If your daughter is infected then there is a possibility that she passes the infection...  Read Full »

My test for HIV-1 was reactive. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old woman, and I have warts on my genitals and around the area, which led me to a dermatologist. The doctor diagnosed them as STD and advised me to get HIV tested, as part of the diagnosis. The blood sample resulted in a reactive result. I approached another lab and got...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) can be acquired through sexual contact (anal or vaginal or oral), blood transfusion, exchange of contaminated syringes or needles or there can be a vertical trans...  Read Full »