Q. A masseuse gave me a massage in my butt hole and private part. Will I get HIV?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 31, 2020

I hope your doing good I have some query.

I went to a massage center two months back. I did not get an appointment on that day, so I went to the nearby place the first time. I used herbal sesame oil, which I took with me. The masseuse gave me a massage with the oil. After 30 minutes, she started butt massage. She began to touch my hole and private part. I stopped and took a shower. During the shower, I saw oil in all my private parts and anus area. I got scared, so I went to the doctor after one day. He asked if she had any cut in her hand or any blood mixed with oil (wet surface). I said I am not sure, and he gave PEP Viropil after 48 hours, asked me to take one now (afternoon), and from the next day to take at night after dinner. Yesterday I got a cough and cold and body ache for three to four days, but I completed the course. Now due to COVID-19, I am unable to reach out to the doctor. Please help me. I did not have any sex or oral sex. Also, PEP stated that after 48 hours, it would be effective.

#

In the first place, massage alone would not be considered as a risk factor. The need for PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is irrelevant in such a case unless there was any sexual exposure. It is more of an apprehension that would create panic and doubts in your mind. As you have already completed PEP, you can now go and get tested for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). PEP is effective if it started within 48 to 72 hours of exposure, but there was no exposure at all in your case.

Thank you for your reply.

I got anxiety when doctors asked me if there are cuts on her hand. I cannot be sure about her hand. Maybe I could not see a mix with oil, no idea. Also, the oil was rich in protein. This is the first time in my life I had such a scenario. Finally, end up taking PEP. I searched a little bit online that PEP is not 100% effective. The cough and cold made me more anxious.

#

I understand your anxiety and would empathize with it. It is very common for many of us to fear and phobia of HIV in such scenarios, and feeling that way is nothing wrong. We all are conscious of the well being of our future. But coming to your case, it is not even considered an exposure; there is absolutely no risk attached, you can b rest assured. We even do not recommend PEP for such scenarios, as it is not a risky exposure. I will advise you to forget this one-off incident, keep yourself calm, focus on other things in life, and keep moving ahead. You can get an HIV 4 th generation test at four weeks if it helps you to feel relieved, although I do not recommend it as a must.

|