Q. Can a purple blotch on the nose mean that I have Kaposi's sarcoma?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
This is a premium question & answer published on May 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2022

I had protected sex with a sex worker last year. After sex, I forgot to clean my scrotum and did not realize until 30 minutes later. I had a negative OraQuick at six months and a negative rapid blood test at 10 months, but I read that false negatives can happen. I do not remember having any ARS symptoms but my nose is slightly purple as of now. When I squeeze it, it turns white which means it cannot be Kaposi's sarcoma. I am worried that the results may have been false negative and I cannot function.

#

The test kits used these days to diagnose HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. Your negative HIV test results (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) at six and then at ten months of exposure are accurate. I am quite sure you are HIV negative.

Kaposi sarcoma which you are referring to is a very late manifestation of HIV and is seen in patients with advanced immunosuppression and also usually found in homosexual HIV-infected individuals.

You are HIV negative.

If the lesion persists on the nose, kindly show it to a dermatologist or an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) specialist for a correct diagnosis.

Hope your query is answered, but please do not hesitate to ask or call anytime for any further query.

I have still persistently tested negative, but I have some questions. I took an HIV ELISA at 10 months but was on a week's course of Prednisone at the time. I also tested again at 12 months and 16 months after exposure, and have still remained negative. My question is since Prednisone is an immunosuppressant, can a short course kill all of the antibodies in your body, and would they take months to come back? I have read that long-term use of Prednisone can cause false negatives and even though I was only on it for a week, do you think an HIV RNA PCR is warranted?

#

The answer to both your questions is no.

Please revert if any other information is required.

|