Q. Can HIV be transmitted if there is no ejaculation in unprotected sex?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

I had unprotected intercourse but no ejaculation was done. I have a fear of being exposed to HIV. What necessary steps should be taken earliest?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Unprotected sexual intercourse is a risk factor for STDs (sexually transmitted disease) including HIV, however, the risk is very low (0.03%). There is no reason to panic at the moment. If possible, please get the partner tested first. If she is a known case of HIV then it would be advisable to consult the nearest dermatologist for post exposure prophylaxis (PEP).

In case if this is not possible, it would be advisable to weigh the risk benefit ratio for PEP in your case. High-risk exposures such as homosexuality, contact with blood during intercourse, sex with a commercial sex worker may warrant a need for PEP.

1) HIV by Elisa at 1 and 3 months after exposure.
2) HBsAg (hepatitis B virus antigen).
3) Anti HCV (hepatitis C virus).
4) VDRL (veneral disease research laboratory).

If high risk exposure then consider PEP.

| 

My penis foreskin is torn and some blood was there. What is pep? How and when to test HIV? Any symptom to know that the partner has HIV without any test?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

PEP is post exposure prophylaxis, i.e. the course of drugs to be taken in cases of high risk of disease transmission immediately after exposure. PEP is advisable in cases where the risk of HIV is substantially high. These include situations in which there has been contact with blood or semen or vaginal secretions with a known case of HIV or person with high chances of having HIV, homosexuality or receptive anal intercourse.

HIV testing should be done at the baseline i.e. at the time after exposure and needs to be repeated at 1 and 3 months after exposure. The tests available are all blood tests.

1. Fourth generation combo tests help in detection as early as two weeks.

2. Elisa for antibody needs to be repeated at the end of third month.

There are no specific symptoms to say a person is infected with HIV. However, the risk is higher if the partner is a commercial sex worker or has had multiple partners in the past or has been chronically ill, losing a lot of weight, having repeated episodes of diarrhea and fever.

| 

What is Pep medication? Does it require doctors prescription? Do you recommend me to go through the medication or wait for one month for the test? I have high BP and cholesterol problems. Kindly advise exactly what steps to take? And any other STD tests?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

PEP is a combination of two or three drugs that are effective against HIV, started within 72 hours in conditions where there is a high chance of acquiring the disease. This is available free of cost at all government ICTC centers. It can also be taken even under the jurisdiction of private practitioners. Doctor's prescription is a must as the medicines cannot be given without it.

All the tests which are necessary to rule out other STDs have been advised in the prior reply (HBsAg, Anti HCV, VDRL).

To determine whether you would be needing PEP or not, we would like to know the following.

Mode of intercourse (oral, vaginal, anal, receptive or insertive)? Category of the person with whom you had intercourse (sex worker or unmarried female or female with multiple partners or gay)? Presence of any ulcers, discharge or other health issues in the partner? Use of condom?

Please revert back with answers.

| 

I had vaginal intercourse with a female who may have multiple partners. I cannot say any health issues about her. No condom was used. Penis foreskin was torn and blood was there, perhaps no ejaculation from both sides.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

The risk of acquiring HIV is very low and can be calculated to an approximate of 0.000028% according to the HIV statistics in India and from the information provided by you. This is a very low limit and does not warrant to start of PEP in your case. However, if you are really worried, you could visit your nearest ICTC center and discuss further about the pros and cons of PEP. There is no need to panic. And be open to get yourself tested.

Safe sex practices. Always use a condom. Restrain to a single partner.

| 

Had unprotected sex today. Should my partner take contraceptive?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected intercourse this morning. But, I am not sure whether I had ejaculated inside. Should my partner take a contraceptive? She is having PCOD. Kindly advice.  Read Full »

Protection broke during insertion and I pulled out. Can STDs be passed in this period?

Query: Hello doctor, I had protected intercourse with a CSW, but the protection broke at the tip during insertion and I immediately pulled out. Enough space was left at the tip for semen to collect and I do not know whether the tip of my penis has come in contact with some vaginal fluid. I am totally str...  Read Full »

I had an unprotected sex but did not ejaculate. I am worried about HIV. Please guide.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old heterosexual male. I am married and have a three months old baby boy, I never had sex before my marriage neither outside it, but yesterday I went to a massage center which including massage with oil, sona, steam room and then moroccan shower by the lady. During the sh...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now