Q. I cuddled with a girl in shorts and had no sex. Will I be HIV positive?

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2020

I have taken HIV 1 and 2 with a p24 antigen test after 105 days of exposure. The test method says CMIA and the test result says negative. Although I got work as negative, I am always feeling worried and depressed by thinking about it. Does this test cover the antibody test as well? To be honest, even in my last exposure, I did not have any sex. I was cuddling with a girl wearing shorts, and I have no idea whether she wore any innerwear or not. Although I wore shorts, I was worried when I do rubbing something that could have infected. Can you please assist with this? I am too much depressed by thinking this all day.

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from overthinking about your last sexual exposure, making you HIV positive. Though your blood immunology for HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus) 1 and 2 with p24 Antigen test is negative, this negative result is unable to make you tension free. According to your query, yes, your blood Immunology for HIV 1 and 2 with the p24 antigen test covers both antigen and antibody tests. P24 Antigen assay test can detect the viral capsid (core) p24 protein in the blood, which may appear earlier than HIV Antibody production from one week to eight weeks after exposure. A few weeks after exposure, antibodies to HIV are produced in response to infection and remain detectable after that in the blood. HIV 1 and 2 help to detect antibodies to HIV production with few weeks after exposure. According to your investigation report, you are free from an acute infection of HIV or previously affected by HIV infection. If any other query, knock me, and I will try to reply to you further.

I am confused about your reply due to my overthinking. Do you mean I am free from HIV infection? Is that test taken after 105 days is reliable? And as I mentioned, I did not have any sex. However, I might have rubbed them wearing shorts. How risk it is?

#

Thanks for joining us again.

Yes, you are free from HIV infection. It is a combination test of both antigen and antibody tests. In the case of active infection, the antigen will be detectable like the blood's p24 antigen. Again HIV 1 and 2 antibody may detect in the chance of previously infected by HIV infection. As both antigen and antibody tests are negative, so you are free from HIV infection. Please do not worry. In case of any other query, knock me.

|