Q. My HIV testing at 11 weeks was negative. Should I retest at 12 weeks?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Jan 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

I had cunnilingus with an escort. After this encounter, I had an RNA PCR test at 15 days and anti-HIV 1 and 2 as well as p24 antigen test after two, four, six, eight and 11 weeks. All the results were negative. But, while some websites say that the result is conclusive after eight weeks, some of them say 12 weeks is conclusive. Please tell me if my negative result can change or not.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have gone through your query and have noted your concern.

• HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibody screening test is highly sensitive at four weeks and thereafter. It accurately detects a majority (95 % sensitivity) of HIV-infected patients.
  • However, in case of a high-risk exposure such as unprotected vaginal, anal or oral sex with a sex worker, it is advisable to retest at 12 weeks (99.9 % sensitive). The 12-week result is taken as conclusive although it is very rare that a negative result at four weeks would change to positive at 12 weeks.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Thanks for the reply. But, as you know I had my last anti-HIV 1 and 2 as well as p24 antigen test at 11 weeks. So, is there any possibility that the result can change in a matter of seven days?

Dr. Kakkar

#

• I do not think that it would turn positive so late. I have never seen that happen in my experience in healthy adults with an intact immunity.
  • As I said, most of the HIV infected individuals will have a positive anti-HIV screening test by three to four weeks and only very rarely the antibody response is delayed, for example, in immunocompromised states or those on immunosuppressive drugs (steroids). Therefore a negative screening test at four weeks and any subsequent negative tests over the ensuing weeks should be followed up by a final 12 weeks screening test for HIV antibodies for a conclusive result to cover for those rare late seroconverters.
  • Only a negative third-generation screening test for HIV antibody at 12 weeks is considered conclusive because those rare few individuals with immunodeficiency or on immunosuppressive treatment may develop a delayed antibody response by 12 weeks.

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient who has comp...  Read Full

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you need to go for fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full

How Accurate Is Cmia Test?

Query: Hi doctor,I had one sexual incidence. After 175 and 180 days, I got tested with CMIA technique. Please check my reports and suggest whether these are conclusively negative. How accurate is CMIA test?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sarada Nagoti
Pathologist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.Both the tests show a non-reactive result, which indicates that your reports are fine.Chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay (CMIA) test is a reliable, accurate and standard method. It tests for P24 antigen as well as antibodies to HIV1 and 2. The accuracy of this te...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now