Q. What is the chance of me contracting HIV after protected sex?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 16, 2022

I had protected sex with a sex worker five weeks before. She gave me oral sex after wearing a condom, and then we had vaginal sex with the same condom for about 10 minutes. Muscle and joint pain in legs started after one month of action. I also got cold with this. I had flown, after which I got this cold. I am very much worried after going through the symptoms of HIV on the internet. Also, I do not know the quality of condoms used. Do these symptoms relate to HIV? What is the chance of me contracting HIV? Should I get tested?

#

There is nothing to worry. You are not at risk.

I am seriously worried about my condition. I am under great stress due to this thigh muscle, leg muscle, joint pain. It has been for three weeks since it started. Is this pain due to the presence of virus in the body? If not what could be the reason for this pain? Should I get tested and what is the chance of me contracting HIV? Please reply at the earliest.

#

Nothing to worry, you are not at risk if the exposure was protected. There is no need for testing too. HIV virus initial presentations are not like what you have mentioned. So relax. For other symptoms, I suggest taking a tablet Azithral (antibiotic) 500 mg once daily for five days and a tablet Dynapar (Diclofenac and Paracetamol) 500 mg twice daily for five days. Review in five days.

I had sex around ten weeks back with a prostitute. I had a cough, sore throat, and severe muscle pain after three weeks. I consulted you, and you advised me to take tablets Dynapar and Azithral for five days. After that, muscle pain subsided.

Now for the past two weeks, I have had severe headaches (from morning to night) and leg muscle and joint pain. Around one week before, I had rashes in both my armpits. I used ketoconazole in my armpit, and then it went after two days.

Are these headaches, muscle and joint pain, and armpit rashes due to HIV? I have attached my previous query as a photo with the mail for your reference.

Do you think that I have the virus in my body.?

Kindly reply at your earliest.

#

If you are so worried, then go for testing, otherwise, I am quite sure of your negative symptoms. You must be very anxious throughout and it might be the reason for your symptoms.

Hope it helps.

|