Q. I did HIV RNA PCR quantitative test at 69 days, which was negative. Am I risk-free?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
Hi Doctor,
I had done antibody for HIV1 &2 Rapid Screening Test at 63 days which was negative and then I did HIV RNA Realtime PCR Quantitative test at 69 days which was also negative “Target Not Detected”. I heard PCR is very sensitive and conclusive. Is that true at 70 days as well? Should I be concerned or am I risk free? Although I am having diarrea from a few days.
Thank you  

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

Hi welcome to icliniq.

As the test are negative at 69 days , so you are free from HIV infection and need not to repeat the test. PCR test is usually not used routinely . Antigen antibody test can detect almost all cases after 4 weeks.

If you can tell me about thest rapid test for HIV 1and 2 you have done then I can give more detail ? which generation test you have tested, was it 4th generation test ?

4th generation test can pick up more than 95 percent case at 4 weeks , and you have tested after 69 days and the results are negative. So just relax. Thanks and regards.

| 

Thank you doctor. I did from a Lab, I am not sure which generation they use. Is RNA PCR not accurate at 10 weeks? Thanks

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

# welcome back.
The test is only antibody test and not the antigen antibody test. The antigen antibody combo test is more sensitive test .

The PCR RNA test is for viral load. As your test is negative at 69 days, so you need not to worry.

As all these are negative, so just relax.

Thanks and regards.

| 

Is the HIV RNA test conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a woman for two to three minutes around four weeks ago. I took HIV 1 RNA test on 11th day which was negative. Again I took complete STD panel tests on 21st day with HIV-1 RNA and HIV fourth generation tests, all of the results were negative. But, I can notice sm...  Read Full »

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

How accurate is HIV-1 RNA, QL TMA?

Query: Hello doctor, Is HIV RNA, QL TMA accurate after 20 to 21 days of exposure? And also this came with my results. RNA is not detected. No laboratory evidence of HIV infection. The HIV-1 RNA qualitative TMA assay is recommended for use as part of a multi-test HIV-1/HIV-2 screening and diagnostic algori...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now