Q. Is it possible to detect HIV by doing tests on a weekly basis?

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi

I had an infection before seven months. I got HSV 1. I was given Acyclovir 200 mg taken five times a day for five days and then they increased my dosage to 400 mg to be taken for five times a day for 10 days. After my Acyclovir course ended, I did an RNA PCR and DNA PCR tests. After getting my results negative, I had sex with a guy. He also went for RNA PCR and DNA PCR tests. It came negative. After two months, I went for a PrEP. I got a sore in my tongue which was pink in color. The next day, I got a stuffy nose which was an allergy that lasted for four days. I got a light brown spot under my right foot. I had a small nonpainful white spot on the bottom of my lip. There is an irritation in my throat that causes blocking and I have to cough to clear up the throat. It does not happen when I sleep. I do not have any sinus problem. Currently, I am taking olive extract supplements. I have done ELISA, fourth generation tests, SD bio line at the eighth week, ninth week, 10th week, the 11th week with home test kits every week.

#

I wish to clear some important points before answering your questions.

1. Regarding HSV infection and treatment: The HSV will remain in your body and it is not completely treated as it is a genetic material. It will be present in the cells and get reactivated in stressful conditions. We cannot treat it completely. Its dose is 400 mg taken five times a day for five days with Acyclovir ointment. It may reactivate in future.

2. Flu-like symptoms: These complaints normally precede a viral infection.

3. Regarding HIV: You have tested every week with RNA PCR kits and ELISA kits. It is good. But, RNA PCR testing is not efficient in home-based kits. So, get whole blood RNA PCR test along with ELISA. This dual testing is needed to rule out HIV.

4. Regarding PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis), I suppose you are using a dual drug based on Tenofovir. If yes, then you are having least chances of acquiring HIV. Finally, stop testing on a weekly basis and get whole blood RNA polymerase chain reaction test to rule out HIV. Mostly you are not reactive. Confirm with a whole blood sample.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|