Q. What is the minimum duration to get a conclusive HIV result?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2020

I had protected sex with a hooker and there was no exchange of body fluids. I was a little worried that the condom may not be 100% effective, so I ran a PCR RNA test after 11 days to check if I had contracted the virus. It returned as negative. Can I take the PCR result as a conclusive result and move on with free mind?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• The minimum time duration for PCR RNA to show confirmatory result is 30 days and may extend to 90 days.
  • Having said this you can be at peace as you have used condoms and there was no exchange of body fluids. This protects you in more than 99% of cases and we can hope negative results almost confirmatory.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|