Hiv Rt-pcr

How reliable is the tri-dot test?

Query: Hi doctor, I was suffering from extreme fatigue last month, so I got a Widal test, which was positive. I have had typhoid many times earlier, and two years back I got hepatitis. Last month I got LFT and CBC tests, and I am attaching the reports. LFT was normal, while CBC shows lymphopenia and macro...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had seen the reports that you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In your CBC (complete blood count) reports, neutrophils are very high and lymphocytes count is low, which is suggestive of some acute infection in the body. Here, as the lymp...  Read Full »

What is PEP therapy for HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an exposure with a call girl with protection. However, during intercourse, the condom broke. I am worried about HIV. Could you please guide me regarding what kind of tests I should undertake. Also, I would like to understand how many days later I should go for the test. As on tod...  Read Full »

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Dermatologist, Venereologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Cosmetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) should be done at six weeks and then after 12 weeks after exposure. Meanwhile, you can take PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) therapy for HIV as a preventiv...  Read Full »

CMIA test is negative.Shall i take Gilo Ghan Vati of Patanjali? Do I have AIDS?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old male. I have done a fourth generation CMIA test which came negative after 10 years of post-exposure. I have also done RT- PCR for HIV1 and HIV2 but both came undetected and my CD4 count is 428. I was sick for the last one year with abdominal pain, oral thrush, body pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The fourth generation CMIA (chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay) kit test is 99.9 % correct. But symptoms are present. CD4 count is also not that high, but till results are negative. No one can say HIV positive. Go to any government hospital and give the blood...  Read Full »

Can HIV be completely cured?

Query: Hello doctor, My son in law is HIV positive. His HIV PCR count is 46,938. He has been prescribed Tenvir. I want to know can he be ever cured? My daughter is married to him for only three months now and she is also pregnant. I would like to know if there is any medicine or ayurvedic treatment t...  Read Full »

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, there is no treatment available for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) and your daughter needs to get tested as she might have caught the infection by sexual intercourse. If your daughter is infected then there is a possibility that she passes the infection...  Read Full »

What are the chances of STD from my encounter, especially HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,I was recently in a sexual encounter with a sex worker. It was a condom-protected sex. The condom did not slip or break. But, I inserted my finger into the girl's vagina for two minutes. Is there any chance of catching an STD from the whole thing (the intercourse and the insertion of t...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your risk of acquisition of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) in both the instances is unlikely. You can easily relax. Although, I advise all my patients who are sexually active to know their baseline HIV status. There is no harm in that. Hope your query is answered,...  Read Full »

What test can I get for early detection of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex four weeks back. Later on, I cross checked with the girl, and she stated she do not have any disease. But still, I am worried. After three weeks I have checked with P24 antigen test, the test value is 0.0, and it is non-reactive. By the fourth week (28th day) I ha...  Read Full »

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.It could be false positive. You have more than 95 percent chances of being negative.Sore throat may or may not be a symptom of HIV.Go for western blot test and HIV RT-PCR (real-time polymerase chain reaction) test to confirm the status of HIV.For further information consul...  Read Full »