Q. Is it possible to have symptoms of STD or HIV after three months of exposure?

Dr. Pratik Patil

I am here to ask some questions regarding HIV and some other possible STDs for the woman having unprotected oral sex (cunnilingus). I tested for HIV after 12 weeks and two days of exposure. I had no sex during this period. The HIV 1/2 rapid screen test showed me a negative result. Does the result conclusive? I consulted a doctor, and she told me that doing a home testing is inaccurate. Is it true?

Since, in these three months, I do not have any severe symptoms. Now, it is four months after my exposure. I have small red bumps in the back of my throat. I do not have pain and difficulty in swallowing. Is this a strep throat or pharyngitis? Is it due to STDs? Is it possible for me to have STD symptoms after three months? Please help.

#

Please say whether the throat pain got resolved with medications. If you have it, then it is unlikely to be a cause due to HIV infection. Secondly, the home kit for HIV has a low sensitivity and low specificity. So, it is inconclusive. ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) is a standard test advisable for HIV testing. Since it is four months, the window period for acquiring an HIV infection has overlapped, and hence, having a negative report at this point is very sure to conclude as not having HIV infection. I would suggest you get tested for ELISA now and repeat it after four weeks again or after a month. Also get a swab sampling done for your throat pain and consult a physician.

|