Q. Is it possible to have symptoms of STD or HIV after three months of exposure?

Dr. Pratik Patil
Published on Nov 29, 2018

I am here to ask some questions regarding HIV and some other possible STDs for the woman having unprotected oral sex (cunnilingus). I tested for HIV after 12 weeks and two days of exposure. I had no sex during this period. The HIV 1/2 rapid screen test showed me a negative result. Does the result conclusive? I consulted a doctor, and she told me that doing a home testing is inaccurate. Is it true?

Since, in these three months, I do not have any severe symptoms. Now, it is four months after my exposure. I have small red bumps in the back of my throat. I do not have pain and difficulty in swallowing. Is this a strep throat or pharyngitis? Is it due to STDs? Is it possible for me to have STD symptoms after three months? Please help.

Dr. Pratik Patil

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

Please say whether the throat pain got resolved with medications. If you have it, then it is unlikely to be a cause due to HIV infection. Secondly, the home kit for HIV has a low sensitivity and low specificity. So, it is inconclusive. ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) is a standard test advisable for HIV testing. Since it is four months, the window period for acquiring an HIV infection has overlapped, and hence, having a negative report at this point is very sure to conclude as not having HIV infection. I would suggest you get tested for ELISA now and repeat it after four weeks again or after a month. Also get a swab sampling done for your throat pain and consult a physician.

Can you catch the flu from having intercourse?

Query: Hi doctor, I had sex with a girl I know. The condom broke while having sex. After 30 minutes, I started having the headache. I was distraught. I took the antibiotics. After two days, I had a cold. Can HIV symptoms appear this fast? Or it was because I took the antibiotics? Or I am just panicking?  Read Full »

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?  Read Full »