Q. Are my HIV reports positive?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I have had a possible low risk exposure a year back which is about 53-54 days before this day, this has wrecked my life, the exposure can be best described as follows and I apologize for the graphic nature of the same, no penetration, no oral sex, but the unprotected penis has touched the vaginal area during a body to body massage with a thai therapist. I have had a HIV DUO test on day 13 and day 31, both negative / non-reactive, I have had a oraquik home test at day 42 which is was again negative. There are no real symptoms except extreme stress, a sore throat for which I have not really required a medication as of now. I have had a legion / boil on my upper back since the last 1 to 2 years which did not affect or bother me as of now but for some strange reason has decided to ache or itch since the last 7 days for which I have consulted a skin doctor and was told that it is a legion because of oil deposits which has become infected now and has prescribed medicines before he can take it off.

Now, I request you to please answer the following question:

1. Can I move on? With the possible case of low risk and my tests at more than 28 days for a HIV DUO test at more than 28 days which a lot of specialists say is conclusive or should I get tested again?

2. Do you think that my boil / legion flaring up has anything to do with HIV?

I do request you to pl help me with this as soon as possible.

#

1) Yes, the test is conclusive although antibodies take some time to develop.

2) It is good that at least you know your baseline HIV status.

3) You can go for repeat test at three months although the risk was minimal.

4) In future, I suggest you to use precautions and condom usage.

5) Your lesion at back is most likely folliculitis which can be there in any individual because of increased sweating. Follow the prescription of your dermatologist.

I thank you for your answer, I do have a query about your answer number one, you say that the test is conclusive but the antibodies take some time to develop, I just want to ask and I would request you to please confirm if in the 4th generation test which tests for antibodies and p24 antigen, this test would be conclusive or not. Also that I have taken an oraquick test at 42 days which I think only tests for antibodies and has come out as negative further supports my non reactive / negative status.

I am not trying to be a devils advocate here and I completely understand your stand but as a person who has made a mistake and might have to face the consequences of my very serious mistake, I would just like to understand my present status. In regards to your suggestion in point number 4 about the future, I completely agree and have learnt my lesson and hope that I can move forward. I request you to please reply.

#

There are two aspects in my first point, the first part indicates that the fourth generation test for HIV which is a combination of p24 antigen and antibody detection has very high sensitivity and specificity. You had performed the test on Day 13 an Day 31 and the result was negative. The second aspect indicates that the antibodies might not develop early and the recommendations are to repeat the test at three months of exposure. This is irrespective of your negative test at Day 42. As far as your present status is concerned, you are negative at this time. Do revert in case of further query.

|