Q. How long can HIV be present in an infected person without detection by testing?

Dr. Kiran Anaparthi
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 20, 2021 and last reviewed on: May 05, 2021

I have participated in protected intercourse in 2009, and I did not participate with anyone until 2019. Before getting into a relationship in 2019, I have undergone few tests like pre-marital tests, including HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory test), STD (sexually transmitted disease) profile, and other tests, and all results came negative and non-reactive. Prior to that, I have undergone a small hair transplant where I underwent tests in 2018 also, and all results were negative and non-reactive. From 2017 to 2019, I have undergone full body checkups seven times. All of them are non-reactive and negative now I am in a relationship and my partner is pregnant. Doctor has asked her to undergo an HIV test, and I am worried about it.

#

One episode of the sexual act without a condom is having a chance of 3 times in 10000 sexual acts. So, with condom, it is very low chances of acquiring HIV. There are fewer chances of she is negative. With a condom, you have very low chances of one sexual encounter. These tests are conclusive. So, these remain conclusive, and no need for further testing. And you can start believing that you are negative and start fresh. Congratulations, and nothing to worry about.

|