Q. I am having nasal congestion, itchy throat, and cold around a month, should I get re-tested for HIV?

Dr. Sushma Shah

I had exposure from the massage parlor last week. I got a handjob from the lady. This is the only exposure I have. I have taken the following test, and all the results were negative. I have given the details below:

At four weeks: HIV ELISA antibody = negative VDRL = negative Hep B and C antibody = negative.

At 12 weeks: HIV ELISA antibody = negative. VDRL = negative Hep B and C antibody = negative.

At 16th month: HIV CLIA antibody = negative. VDRL = negative Hep B and C antibody = negative.

At 17th month: HIV CMIA combo antibody + p24 = negative.

Now I am having nasal congestion, cold, throat itching, and sneezing for around one month. I had taken two times medicine for allergy after consultation, but it is not curing. I am very much worried and tensed. In my case, for conclusive results and to rule out HIV, should I take PCR RNA?

Please help.

#

I went through the message, and saw many tests done. All tests conclusive accuracy is 99.6-.99.9%. If you are complaining sneeze congestion, throat congestion then they are recurrent in this season, or it may be strep throat. To rule out HIV, you need to go for a Western blot test, which gives you 100% accuracy. But you do not have HIV. Allergic rhinitis is most common.

I would suggest you to take,

1) Taxim O (Cefixime) 200 - two times a day after food for five days.

2) Signoflam (Aceclofenac,Paracetamol and Serratiopeptidase) - three times a day after food for five days.

3) Montek LC (Montelukast and Levocetrizine) one tablet at night for five days or more.

4) Otrivin C (Xylometazoline hydrochloride 0.1%) nasal spray locally two times or as required for nasal congestion. You will be fine. Yet if it is still there, use Otrivin C nasal spray locally and Montek LC. They are not harmful.

So there is no need to worry.

Thanks doctor.

I have seen few cases from the internet where the antibody is not formed and ELISA fails to detect HIV. So I took a fourth-gen HIV test assuming that if antibody is not formed, there shall be p24 antigen still present enough to detect. Is this correct?

I have asked for HIV PCR since it looks for a virus. I get relief from nasal congestion if I take Nasocan drops, but the doctor told me it is not for prolonged use. Can I use Otrivin C nasal spray for a long period?

#

Yes Otrivin C nasal spray can be used. Internet capture does not give you any solution. So my request is not to search on internet all day long for the solution. People get so depressed and finally are handled by the psychiatrist. It is the real fact.

Thanks doctor for the answer.

#

I hope this information was helpful.

Hi Doctor,

Just to add a point. Earlier I had taken two courses of antibiotics for sore throat, sneezing and cold. Again after few days I took another course. Attaching the images. I was looking for Otrivin C spray but I got only Otrivin Oxy nasal solution. I get relief for ten hours after using Otrivin Oxy solution. Can I use Otrivin Oxy solution.

#

Yes you can use Otrivin Oxy solution.

Hi Doctor,

How many days I can use?

My main problem is nasal blockage.

#

You can also use Vicks inhaler.

Hi Doctor,

Now I do not have sore throat but I have nasal congestion so as you suggested I will be using Montek LC and Otrivin for five days.

Thank you Doctor.

#

You can use nasal spray and Montek LC as required.

|