Q. Is an HIV rapid test after 60 days of exposure reliable?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

I need some clarifications on the HIV issue. I had penetrative vaginal sex with a sex worker of unknown status. It was protective.

I am worried because I fingered the girl, and after that, I put on my condom. I am afraid my glans penis might have come in contact with vaginal fluid on my fingers and hand while putting on the condom, and maybe while removing as well.

And there could be a small puncture hole because I did not check for leakage. I have tested myself for a rapid HIV test. It came out negative. This is 60 days after exposure.

Should I relax?

#

The chances of transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) by single protected intercourse with an HIV-positive person are almost nil if the condom is used correctly. If you doubt that there is a slight chance of coming in contact with vaginal secretion, there might be a risk. If she is negative, there is no chance. HIV rapid test negative results after 60 days are good. The chances of HIV test results coming positive later is almost nil. It would be better to go for an HIV antibodies test after three months of exposure in a laboratory to relieve anxiety and the results to be conclusive.

|