Q. My HIV test came back negative at eight weeks. Am I all clear?

Image: My HIV test came back negative at eight weeks.  Am I all clear?

I would like some advice please regarding HIV testing. 10 days following a sexual encounter, (protected penetrative sex, unprotected oral sex) I was tested at my local GUM clinic. Although the lady from my encounter tested negative, mine came back as weakly reactive (fourth generation test). I retested which was now 21 days from the encounter and the result was exactly the same. The clinic sent some blood away for a viral load test which came back as negative / undetectable. Four and a bit weeks (eight weeks since the initial encounter) later, I returned for the follow-up blood test which, as I was advised, was weakly reactive again. This time the clinic sent some blood to a lab abroad for a confirmatory test which came back negative. What are your thoughts on this? Given that my results from the fourth generation test are the same over an eight-week period and viral load negative and whatever test they did abroad was negative should I be considered all clear? I cannot seem to shake this doubt that I have.