Q. My HIV test is non-reactive, but I have a sore throat. Will the results be accurate?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I am a male. I have had a sore throat and no other symptoms after my first sexual experience, and we did not use protection. Day 10 after the occasion, I experienced a sore throat for the first time. I got tested for chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes 1 and 2, and trichomonas. All were negative. 36 days later, after having a sore throat thrice, I received a full panel STD test with an anal and urethral swab. Everything was negative. I received an ag/ab HIV test, which was nonreactive. I received the HIV test drawn by vein. Would the test result be accurate enough not to worry about HIV? Will the STD result be accurate?

#

I have checked your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and as you mentioned, they are negative only, and HIV is also non-reactive. So you should not be worried much. As you said, the sore throat you have is possible you got it from the person you had contact with. He is also experiencing the same symptoms. Sore throat is caused by a bacterial infection, which can be easily transmitted by close contacts, such as kissing.

And all of your tests are negative only, so please do not stress yourself. If you still have a sore throat, then take tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg twice a day for five days.

Please tell me, do you have any rashes in your mouth? Is there any swelling or redness inside the mouth? Do you have pain while swallowing? Do you have a runny nose or cough?

Please answer so I can prescribe you further medicine and help accordingly.

I developed what looks like Fordyce spots on my inner right cheek, possibly from oral sex. And the swab test produces negative results. My tonsil was swollen with lots of pain while swallowing. My soft palate at the back is red, and it is agitated and at the back of my throat but not in the oropharynx. I do not have a cough, but I do have seasonal allergies. So my nose is usually stuffy but not very runny. I am attaching the picture, and the discoloration of my tongue is due to coffee.

#

Thank you for attaching the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I have checked, and it looks more likely due to bacterial infection.

Only inflammation is present. So do not worry, please take the medicine I prescribed.

Take for five days and let me know on follow up. If your symptoms persist, then you will go for further testing if required.

Please take multivitamin tablet 500 mg once a day after meal. Avoid oral sex for a few weeks until it completely heals. Drink lukewarm water only.

If anything else, please let me know.

| 

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full »

Please suggest an opinion about genital STD infection.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 26-year-old male. I have an STD infection in the genital area. I want to know about it? Please suggest.  Read Full »

I get attracted to handsome men lately. Am I homosexual?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 year old unmarried male. I used to be a straight guy and was attracted to only females, but for the past one year, I find a male attractive if he is handsome. Does that mean I have turned homosexual or bisexual? Is it because I am unmarried and never had sex before? I have neve...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»