Q. My HIV tests fall under false negative. Do I have HIV?

Answered by
Dr. Atishay Bukharia
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Feb 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My ex-partner had HIV three years ago when I was along with him. But, he informed me regarding this very recently. He did not make me aware of his condition. We were not careful always. After getting to know, I checked on internet about its signs and symptoms and found that I had all of them three years ago itself. I got a rapid blood test done and it came negative. Got a HIV test done and that result too came negative. I am convinced that my HIV status has progressed. I read about false positive tests and false negative tests. As my HIV tests fall under false negative I am aware that the doctor will not help me. I am much worried and in need of some guidance. Thank you in advance.

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • Out of nearly hundred person having sex with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) positive person, hardly less than one may get infected.
  • The chances of acquiring HIV after sexual exposure is less than one percent.
  • I would suggest you to get HIV RT-PCR (real-time polymerase chain reaction) and ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) for HIV- 1 and HIV- 2 antibody from two different laboratory.
  • As far as progression of the disease is concerned, HIV-RNA would be positive. False positive or negative do not occur every time. Be positive.

Revert back with the test results to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Hi doctor,

Thank you for your advice, It seems that I am in latent stage. Though I am eating well, I have lost weight. There are purple blotches on my skin and have lymph nodes in my groin. Off late, I am having hot and cold sweats. All my previous partners are showing the same early signs of HIV that I had three years ago. Please help.

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • There are many medical conditions that can look alike as HIV.
  • Diagnosis can be confirmed only by HIV RT-PCR test. This test detects the RNA of HIV virus. Hence, if this turn out to be positive, then it confirms that you are having HIV.
  • As your tests are negative, there are very less chances of you having.
  • In your case if you really had HIV, by now it should have progressed to AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) without any treatment.
  • All your symptoms are pointing towards acute HIV syndrome that generally do not remain for long.

For further queries consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

What kind of muscle pain is associated with ARS?

Query: Hi, I am a 31 year old male. About 38 days before I had sex with a CSW (Commercial Social Worker). It was protected vaginal sex and protected oral sex. Also there were deep throat kisses which lasted almost a minute. I am not sure if the condom was torn during the intercourse.  Since last 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?  Read Full »

What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some queries about HIV, ELISA/ECLIA TEST. What is the cut-off for this test? In some lab reports, they do not mention the cut off rate. They just mention if it is reactive or non-reactive. In some labs, 0.9 is the cut off while in others, it is different. Why is it so?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.