Q. My p24 test shows negative result. Am I safe from HIV?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 07, 2020

Is real time viral load reliable for HIV test after 14 days of sex encounter? I got normal result. I also did p24 on 15th day and get negative result. Now can I be safe from HIV? I use two condoms at the same time during intercourse and I do not know my partner's HIV status. With other partner, I just kissed her without any physical relation.

#

The answers to your queries are:

If you had used the condom consistently and correctly, changed for each sexual act with one person, and it did not break or slipped off during the act and you removed it while the penis is still not soft, your risk of HIV is nonexistent. HIV cannot be transmitted by touching or kissing alone. The test you performed is highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate result.

A negative HIV-RNA test needs to be complemented with fourth-generation HIV combo test at four weeks. If the result is negative, HIV rapid antibody test needs to be repeated at three and six months of last exposure.

During intercourse, I used two condoms at the same time means one over the other. And also during sex, the penis happens to become small and soft but when I took it from the vagina the condom move on the penis but not all the time. I used to check for the breakage after I remove it. my concern is, Is my test reliable in 14 days?

#

It seems to be a protected act. Although the risk is nonexistent in this case. If infected, HIV is seen in the blood after around 14 days. You did this test at borderline. I advise you to undergo serology test at least after four weeks​ and three months of exposure.

I did the p24 test after three weeks only means on the 22nd day of my exposure and I got a normal result. Also, l had done real time viral load PCR test on the 15th day and got normal result. Any other test required now? I am very much worried.

#

Recommendations are to get fourth generation HIV test at four weeks and if the result is negative get a repeat HIV antibody test at three months of last exposure. There is no need to repeat the test in between.

|