Q. What is the chance of false negative in 260th day HIV test?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak
Published on Dec 19, 2019

I have negative HIV, ELISA test on 54th day, 108th day, 210th day and 260th days. May be all tests are second or third generation tests. I also have done an HIV test with the help of home test kit which shows result in 10 minutes. The result is negative.

My questions are what are the chances of a false negative? Whether I need anymore testing like PCR, RNA/DNA test? Does three months HIV test is considered conclusive? What are the chances of transmission in case of protected sex (no anal or oral sex)? Whether deep kiss or smooch can transmit the virus?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I will answer your query specifically. In your case, the chances of false negative are almost nil. Chances of false negative are high during the window period which extends from three weeks to six months. Usually, a person having HIV has detectable antibody levels by a month. Almost 97 percent of people become seropositive by three months. By six months any person having HIV will develop antibodies. Only a few cases have been reported where seroconversion occurred late after a year. As you have done your tests at monthly intervals till six months and the results have been negative, chances of it being false negative are almost negligible. You do not need any other tests.

We consider three months as conclusive but prefer to do a test at six months too. If you have used a condom, you need not worry. If only sex is unprotected chances of spreading through single contact are 0-1%. Kissing does not spread infection.

| 

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »

Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about a year and a half ago. Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for it? Are there any antiviral prescriptions for me? The associated symptoms are extreme fatigue and dizziness.  Read Full »

What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some queries about HIV, ELISA/ECLIA TEST. What is the cut-off for this test? In some lab reports, they do not mention the cut off rate. They just mention if it is reactive or non-reactive. In some labs, 0.9 is the cut off while in others, it is different. Why is it so?  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now