Q. All my HIV tests are negative. But, I feel like I am infected. Do I need more tests?

Answered by
Dr. Ravinder K. Sachdeva
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2017

Hello doctor,

I had an unprotected encounter with a CSW four months ago. Since then I had diarrhea, malaise, and lost 4 kg in about two months. Then, I had CBC with 13 % lymphocytes. And three days later, I developed thrush with large white patches on the back of my tongue, and my stomach was bloating. My specialist said that I have a candida overgrowth. I had another CBC with lymphocytes at 18 %. I had an HIV test at 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 13, 16, 17, and 18 weeks. All of them were negative. Also, I have gained few kilos back now. What I cannot understand is, the girl is also 15 weeks negative by RNA PCR as well as Western blot, but her CBC shows a WBC count of 12.5 and she had thalassemia minor. I feel like I am infected with HIV, as my body is just not producing a detectable level of antibodies and a six month HIV test would be required as there is no other explanation whatsoever. I am Herpes-1 positive, CMV positive, and Hepatitis-A positive. Rest of the STDs are negative. Kindly advise.



Welcome to

  • The HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) test result at 18 weeks post-exposure suggests negative and as per the information, your partner is also negative.
  • If you had no further exposure, you do not require any more tests for HIV. There are only rare instances of a late seroconversion at six months reported in the literature and if you are unsure about the exposure and the test results, get a repeat HIV antibody test from a different accredited lab. The symptoms could be due to various reasons and do not necessarily suggest HIV.
  • Also I suggest you get ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), fasting blood sugar levels, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels.

Best wishes.

For further queries consult an HIV AIDS specialist online -->

Thank you doctor,

Are tests at accredited labs trustworthy?



Welcome back to

  • Yes, they are.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

.. acidity problems are non-specific symptoms and are not related to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection. The risk factors for HIV infection is having sex with unknown partners, whose HIV status is not known, or through blood transmission. I...   Read full

HIV 1 and 2 are nonreactive 28 days after exposure. Should I repeat it later?

HIV infection has a window period of one to three months during which these test results may be false negative ...   Read full

Are my symptoms due to HIV infection? I had a high-risk exposure 15 months ago.

.. kits used to diagnose HIV are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. The majority of the people who are infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) develop antibodies by three months, and even in the rare instances of late ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.