Q. Can HIV cause throat inflammation as a presenting symptom?

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I had severe throat inflammation and went to an ENT doctor. At that time, he was with a HIV patient who has sore throat and ulcers. He used a spoon like equipment to check the throat of the HIV patient. The spoon like equipment is contaminated. Unfortunately, the doctor used the same spoon like equipment on me without sterilizing the equipment. I already have severe throat inflammation. I am worried whether I will get HIV. Please help me.

#

• Most of the doctors sterilize the equipment in a solution which is kept on their examination desk.
  • You have not mentioned the time duration between exposure and the onset of symptoms, though HIV does not cause throat inflammation as a presenting symptom usually.
  • Still you can have to get a HIV DNA or RNA PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test done to rule out any chance of acquiring an infection.

For further doubts consult a HIV AIDS specialist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Is there any chance of spreading HIV through saliva if saliva of a HIV infected person enters into the mouth of an uninfected person?

#

HIV can be transmitted via saliva.

|