Q. Can HIV cause throat inflammation as a presenting symptom?

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal
Published on May 27, 2016

I had severe throat inflammation and went to an ENT doctor. At that time, he was with a HIV patient who has sore throat and ulcers. He used a spoon like equipment to check the throat of the HIV patient. The spoon like equipment is contaminated. Unfortunately, the doctor used the same spoon like equipment on me without sterilizing the equipment. I already have severe throat inflammation. I am worried whether I will get HIV. Please help me.

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal

General Medicine HIV/AIDS Specialist Internal Medicine
#

• Most of the doctors sterilize the equipment in a solution which is kept on their examination desk.
  • You have not mentioned the time duration between exposure and the onset of symptoms, though HIV does not cause throat inflammation as a presenting symptom usually.
  • Still you can have to get a HIV DNA or RNA PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test done to rule out any chance of acquiring an infection.

For further doubts consult a HIV AIDS specialist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?  Read Full »

What can cause frequent throat infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to get throat infection whenever I drink cold water. Due to weather also drinking water gets cold. Even that leads to throat infection. What measure shall I take to protect myself from throat infection?  Read Full »

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now