Q. Can HIV cause throat inflammation as a presenting symptom?

Dr. Rajesh Deshwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I had severe throat inflammation and went to an ENT doctor. At that time, he was with a HIV patient who has sore throat and ulcers. He used a spoon like equipment to check the throat of the HIV patient. The spoon like equipment is contaminated. Unfortunately, the doctor used the same spoon like equipment on me without sterilizing the equipment. I already have severe throat inflammation. I am worried whether I will get HIV. Please help me.

#

• Most of the doctors sterilize the equipment in a solution which is kept on their examination desk.
  • You have not mentioned the time duration between exposure and the onset of symptoms, though HIV does not cause throat inflammation as a presenting symptom usually.
  • Still you can have to get a HIV DNA or RNA PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test done to rule out any chance of acquiring an infection.

For further doubts consult a HIV AIDS specialist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Is there any chance of spreading HIV through saliva if saliva of a HIV infected person enters into the mouth of an uninfected person?

#

HIV can be transmitted via saliva.

| 

Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?  Read Full »

What can cause frequent throat infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I used to get throat infection whenever I drink cold water. Due to weather also drinking water gets cold. Even that leads to throat infection. What measure shall I take to protect myself from throat infection?  Read Full »

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now