Q. Can kissing and getting touched by vaginal fluid on face cause HIV?

Dr. Sushma Shah
Published on Aug 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2019

Two days ago, I met a sex worker and we were just kissing each other and my underwear was on. Then she started playing with herself and there were vaginal fluids on her hand. She put her hand on my face and close to my nose and wanted me to smell her vaginal fluid. After about 10 minutes, I felt like this thing might be dangerous, so I went and washed my face. I do not know if she had HIV or not but I am very scared.

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

When there is no sex intervention and vaginal fluid was touched by her on the face, so it is clearly no penetration as the skin acts as a strong barrier. Kissing has the least chance or nil for HIV but yes, HSV (herpes simplex virus) is common. If any symptoms other than seasonal like a sore throat, common cold, then consult a general physician MD or an ENT specialist. The night sweat, rash all are common, so do not panic. Yet, if you have fear or anxiety, you can go for the test. Once the test results are negative, you are risk-free.

Take healthy food, fruit juice, milk products. The test to be taken are ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) kit within 7 to 10 days, RNA PCR on the 15th day, fourth generation CMIA kit test on the 28th day. You can take any of these.

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient who has comp...  Read Full

HIV1 RNA test is negative. Can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?

Query: Hi doctor,I had sex with massage girl a month back with a condom. But I am not sure about condom break. I had HIV1 RNA test 21 days late. It came negative. So do I need to take another test or can it be concluded that I do not have HIV?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you need to go for fourth generation ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay). For more information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist  Read Full

HIV RNA was negative on 21st day? Can it be positive later?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex with a woman for two to three minutes around four weeks ago. I took HIV 1 RNA test on 11th day which was negative. Again I took complete STD panel tests on 21st day with HIV-1 RNA and HIV fourth generation tests, all of the results were negative. But, I can notice sm...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Though the photo is not clear, I can make out slight redness on the glans. It may be due to irritation or fungal infection. Do not over clean the area. Clean the area with warm water twice dai...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now