HomeAnswersHIV/AIDS specialisthivI provided mobility training to an HIV-positive patient without protection, with recent scratches. Is transmission possible?

Do healed scratches with epithelialization block virus entry?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 3, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 3, 2023

Patient's Query

I provided mobility training and exercises to a patient without wearing gloves and a mask. I had scratches on my skin due to playing with my pets earlier. Later, I became aware that she is HIV positive, and the patient had an infection on the side of her lips. My concern is whether there is a possibility of transmission in this scenario.

HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) transmission necessitates the exchange of bodily fluids. Older scratches typically undergo epithelialization and do not serve as entry points for the virus. HIV does not propagate through touch or the sharing of items. The potential infection on the lips might be herpes, which can be transmitted through close contact. There is no need for HIV testing in your case.

Thanks and regards.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor for the reply,

The day after I received the scratches, I came into contact with that patient.

The upper layer of skin epithelializes within hours of injury, forming a barrier that prevents the entry of any potential infections. Therefore, there is no need for you to worry.

I hope your queries are resolved and any further queries are welcome.

Patient's Query

Her salvia and tears had virus or not..sir
Hi HIV transmission through saliva and tears has no definite evidence. Even WHO/CDC do not consider kissing as a risk factor for HIV transmission. It requires exchange of body fluids.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Dermatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

exerciseshivherpes

Ask your health query to a doctor online

HIV/AIDS specialist

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy