Q. Does having fever after an unprotected sex result in HIV?

Dr. Yousef Abbas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 04, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 05, 2021

I have a fever after doing protected vaginal sex and unprotected vaginal sex. Is it a symptom of HIV?

#

Infection with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) causes an illness called AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). One who is caught with this disease does not develop any symptoms until some years after infection. Only some people have unspecific mild symptoms after having an infection, but it is absolutely minor. If you had sex in the last 48 hours, you can have a PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) protection pill in the hospital. But this needs severe treatment and a doctor in person can do it.

You need to wait for sixteen weeks after having the potential infectious agent to get tested for HIV antibodies. Before that, there is a diagnostic window in which the infected person will have the infection but still, no antibodies are detected. So every test taken earlier before sixteen weeks after the event is completely useless. Practicing unprotected vaginal sex is of danger and the risk is low. So do not panic. Try to have protected sex until you get the results of the HIV test done after sixteen weeks.

Potential exposure to HIV (human immunodeficiency virus).

HIV antibody test to be done after sixteen weeks.

|