Q. Got two negative RNA TMA test for HIV. Are the results conclusive?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Jun 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

I had two negative Gen-Probe Aptima RNA TMA test done the on the 8th day and 14th day of post exposure. I took a Duo Combo test on the 29th day. Has anyone seen these RNA tests after 14 days have become wrong?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• You need not go for further testing as these tests are conclusive.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Are the two RNA tests conclusive?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

• You have undergone two RNA PCR testing. They are very accurate and pick up even a few copies of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) from the blood within 3 days to 4 weeks after exposure.
  • This test is most useful in monitoring the viral load, once HIV is established.
  • However, this test is not used as a screening test for HIV infection, as there can be false positive and false negative results sometimes.
  • You have also taken a Duo Combo test on the 29th day. This test is the most useful test for screening after possible exposure.
  • Modern day combo can pick up infection from 2 to 4 weeks after exposure and are extremely sensitive.
  • A negative test means there are 99.7% chances that you are HIV free. Nothing is absolute in medicine and so 100% absolute surety is not there.
  • Still, if you want to be double sure, you may go for a repeat Duo Combo test after 12 weeks of possible exposure.
  • If it again comes negative, then you can sit back and relax that you do not have HIV.

I am still waiting for the 4th Gen-Probe and Duo Combo results.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

• In that case, you can expect a positive result for you.
  • If the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) test is negative, you may follow the above said instructions.
  • If the test is positive, it must be followed up with a western blot test to confirm positivity as ELISA may be false positive in 5% of samples.
  • RNA PCR is not used for acute exposure screening.
  • A negative RNA PCR test may give us some assurance that chances of HIV are lesser, but it should always be followed by ELISA tests, because of the lower accuracy of PCR for screening purpose.

I got RNA TMA (NAAT) and not a PCR. Can I rely on the report?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

I can understand your concern and apprehension.

• Aptima RNA TMA and nucleic acid amplification test - NAAT are an improved version of the standard RNA PCR testing.
  • While the accuracy is higher than the conventional PCR, but the bottom line facts remain as such. That is why it is an aid in diagnosing along with HIV ELISA testing and cannot replace ELISA as a screening test.
  • Though some studies report it as a good alternative for western blot test, but sensitivity is low, so ELISA is still needed.
  • Moreover, it is not Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved for screening.
  • HIV testing is all about probabilities and hence a good time tested combination of the tests should be taken as confirmatory.

The two negative tests are highly encouraging right?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

• Yes, you are right. They are highly encouraged and assuring that your ELISA combo test should also most probably will come out as negative.

HIV test was negative, but I am still worried. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, After 15 months of unprotected sex, I went for HIV test called Comb AIDS test but, the result came back negative for both HIV-1 and 2. Again after three months, I redid the test, but even this time, the result was negative. I was not satisfied, so I went for ELISA tes...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The test kits used to diagnose HIV are highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. The majority of the people who are infected with HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) develop antibodies by three months, and even in the rare instances of late seroconversion...  Read Full

Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about a year and a half ago. Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for it? Are there any antiviral prescriptions for me? The associated symptoms are extreme fatigue and dizziness.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have been diagnosed with hepatitis B around one and a half years ago. Now, you have to repeat HBsAg, ELISA testing to check whether you are HBsAg positive. If still HBsAg is positive, then you can be a carrier of it. Further tests need to be done as follows: ...  Read Full

I am under PEP. How often should I get tested for HIV if the results come negative?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years old. I am on PEP that has to be taken for 28 days. I got my first dose around 40 hours of being contracted to HIV. PEP is not 100 % secure. My question is if I am lucky and the result shows HIV negative after the therapy, how often do I need to get antibody tested if luck s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are: For PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) efficacy, adherence to the medications prescribed for PEP is the most important thing. PEP is really efficacious, To the best of my clinical practice, I have not seen any case of a patient who has comp...  Read Full

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now