Q. I took PEP drugs within 48 hours of sex, and I am HIV-negative. Would I have transmitted?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
and medically reviewed by Dr.P.C.Pavithra Pattu

Four months back, I had sex with a lady. I had started using PEP drugs within 48 hours. I got negative after three months in the test. Are there any chances that I might have transmitted HIV to others within those 48 hours (the time between the exposure and PEP pill taken)? Can HIV transmit through tongue cleaners if they are not cleaned well with water or contain some fresh blood on it or even cleaned if some blood mixed with water stays on it? Please clarify.

#

Thank you for the query.

It is good that the HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) antibody test is negative after three months of exposure. It is conclusive provided there is no further risk exposure. The chances of transmission of HIV (within 48 hours of exposure, as mentioned) are meager. Chances of transmission with sharing tongue cleaners are almost zero unless bleeding wounds are present in both. I hope this clarified your query.

Thanks for the reply.

As you mentioned that the chances are meager, I guess there is no need for more tests. Am I right? And you said bleeding wounds; does that mean the presence of bleeding wounds in both persons? Please explain.

#

Thank you for the query. Yes some fresh blood should be there on it (from bleeding wounds in first person) and wound in the receiving person which acts as portal of entry to HIV. If there are no bleeding wounds then there is no need for HIV tests.

|