Q. Is it safe to assume that I am HIV negative following a negative HIV test?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 31, 2020

I took my fourth generation ELISA antibody and p24 test at 38 days and it was negative. I also did my RNA PCR test at 35 days and it is undetectable at 20 copies/1000 mL. Am I conclusively HIV negative? Because, I continue to have a pimple or rash breakout on my face and chest. Also, I have diarrhea and feel generally weak with 99 degrees temperature. Could this be due to some other disease? Or still I have chance of having HIV?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

• HIV RNA PCR is very sensitive test after 10 days of exposure. Duo test (combo test) is very sensitive after one month of exposure. It can be considered HIV negative with both tests being negative.
  • The symptoms may be due to anxiety or any simple infection. You can consult your physician for examination and management.
  • The chance of HIV tests coming positive later is almost nil provided there is no further risk exposure.
  • The risk of exposure details are not clear. You can get back with details for any clarification.

For further clarification consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

Thank you for your prompt reply. I performed receptive fellatio on a guy but I did not ingest his sperm and I did so for five minutes. That was my only risk. Is it safe to assume that I am HIV negative? The stress is killing me and I do not have anyone to share it with.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

• With the given risk exposure and test results, you are free from HIV. You can allay fears of HIV.
  • You can get tested for HIV antibodies again after three months to allay your anxiety totally.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

| 

Are my symptoms indicative of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having hot breaths, and my eyes feel hot. I have acidity problems. All these problems started after I had sexual intercourse. Is it an indication of HIV? Should I get a western blot test now?  Read Full »

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now